Finch Thread—Discuss and Show Off Your Birds

Pics
Societies may get attacked, I never mix those species.
If you do more zebras, add four and not two and keep sexes equal. Four birds will fight a lot, six becomes a flock where nobody can bully anyone else too much.
Interesting. What I had heard from other finch people was that societies worked alright as long as they had space.

Last edited:
I

Interesting. What I had heard from other finch people was that societies worked alright as long as they had space.

Zebras may attack and bloody them. Not that all do... but every time I have tried to house both species in a cage, even a very large one, the zebras would be very hostile towards them.

Zebras may attack and bloody them. Not that all do... but every time I have tried to house both species in a cage, even a very large one, the zebras would be very hostile towards them.
Good to know, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I once had a big Avery, on the floor was button quails, over 30-40 budgies who bred every spring, was awesome seeing the new babies. Had one big green parrot still not sure what breed it was, and a few zebra finches. Also had two love birds one yellow one green, green one was completely tame and I use to take him on holidays with me and everything.

You wanna know a funny story, I got two actually, so one is seeing as I use to have so many baby budgies I'd sometimes give some away to friends and family for free. Anyway my cousin took two once and "trained" them. One day while visiting him I asked how's the budgies going. He said yeah good he said there so tame ect.. and let them out of there cage onto his bed to handle them, well they instantly flew straight out his open bedroom window. 🤣

The other funny thing was I once went to this vet fare thing, lots of animals ect.. there was one guy there who had a heap of budgies, most where English budgies, I had some of those too they are bigger. Anyway I walked up to him and he told me his a budgie breeder and said he was working on making purple budgies, I told him oh yeah I'm a budgie breeder too, he asked me how I breed them. I told him they just do there thing in a big Avery we have, the man scoffed as if he wasn't impressed with my method of breeding and offered me a pamphlet to his club which I took. But I just found it funny.

Has anyone here transitioned their finches to pellets? Both Charlotte and Oliver are showing a few signs indicating to me that their current nutrition needs aren't being met on their seed-only diet. I already have my budgies on various Lafeber foods, so I'm considering trying their finch pellet.
At one time I had an entire flight transitioned onto the Zupreem fruit blend pellets formulated for the finches. All the birds seemed to get excited when I opened a bag. It’s very fragrant so I assume they were able to smell them. I do think seed is more natural for them, so I started adding the Zupreem and Roudybush pellets to their egg food that I made tubs of at a time and thawed. I have that recipe kicking around somewhere if I need to resurrect it. Lol

how are they to tame? Easy, hard? I've always admired finches, but do they make good, social pets?

They are normally pets to watch and not touch.

I have a society finch who is 7.5 who trusts me, will come to me to see what I'm up to and eat from my hand. It's a bond forged through a long time of letting him out in the house and letting him choose to interact without being pushed. He doesn't step up on my finger or command or allow any touching, and mostly does his own thing with his mate. He's just not scared of me anymore. Most finches will be, especially in the beginning.

There are exceptions to the hands off rule. Finches raised on formula from chicks, especially Java finches, never learn any fear of you and are bold and curious. These birds can make excellent pets. I hand raise javas, and the difference between my babies i raise and their wild parents is vast. The hand fed birds jump on you and play like puppies!

They are normally pets to watch and not touch.

I have a society finch who is 7.5 who trusts me, will come to me to see what I'm up to and eat from my hand. It's a bond forged through a long time of letting him out in the house and letting him choose to interact without being pushed. He doesn't step up on my finger or command or allow any touching, and mostly does his own thing with his mate. He's just not scared of me anymore. Most finches will be, especially in the beginning.

There are exceptions to the hands off rule. Finches raised on formula from chicks, especially Java finches, never learn any fear of you and are bold and curious. These birds can make excellent pets. I hand raise javas, and the difference between my babies i raise and their wild parents is vast. The hand fed birds jump on you and play like puppies!
There are probably better birds for what I'm looking for then, huh?

Back
Top Bottom