Finch Thread—Discuss and Show Off Your Birds

birdiesfriends.gif

View attachment 2748764
Spencer and Tesla, my late Gouldian finches.
Recently, though still very much maintaining my chicken obsession, I have become more and more interested in caged birds such as budgies (which I have owned my whole life) and finches (a more recent adventure.) If all goes according to plan, I should be welcoming home two new zebra finches tomorrow. I would love to hear from other finch owners and see some pictures and stories. :pop
Feel free to talk about other caged birds such as budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, parrots, etc.
I do adore finches, canaries & cockatiels! I have been snooping around my local area for some. I loved finding your post!

I bought some new finches recently to keep my old 7 yr old society finch (center) company.

finches2.png

I think it's clear from this picture how well they have all bonded together! They all sleep in the same nest together and preen each other. There are two new society finches, a zebra finch, and a spice finch. All of them except the spice are definitely male; the spice is probably female but acts quite ambiguous.

finches.jpg

Here's Snowball again, my handfed white Java who is really friendly to humans (and aggressive as hell to other birds).

finches3.jpg

I bought some new finches recently to keep my old 7 yr old society finch (center) company.

View attachment 2892201

I think it's clear from this picture how well they have all bonded together! They all sleep in the same nest together and preen each other. There are two new society finches, a zebra finch, and a spice finch. All of them except the spice are definitely male; the spice is probably female but acts quite ambiguous.

View attachment 2892200

Here's Snowball again, my handfed white Java who is really friendly to humans (and aggressive as hell to other birds).

View attachment 2892202
That's a funny coincidence. I just saw your video of the top picture in my feed on another site a few days ago. They're cute little fellows.
Mixed aviaries appeal to me but I have been nervous to try them.

That's a funny coincidence. I just saw your video of the top picture in my feed on another site a few days ago. They're cute little fellows.
Mixed aviaries appeal to me but I have been nervous to try them.

Finch temperaments are really hard to predict. I was not sure how this group would work out, but they are doing well. Zebra finch are often very territorial and not the best for mixed flocks. Having just one, he seems to stay well behaved so his friends dont exclude him. I wouldn't add another zebra finch to this group.

They live with two doves as well, who dont bother anyone.

Back
Top Bottom