finches and their eggs...

Myst4

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
N.S., Canada
Anyone know the behavior of finches when they have layed eggs? I can see about 3 in there nest(I only look quickly when the parents aren't in there). I have noticed that they don't sit for very long on the eggs. I mean the dad or mom sits on them for a short time, then comes away from the nest and flies around the cage and "plays"?(not breeding,just chasing each other) with the other...then goes back to the nest and does this all day. Should they be sitting on the nest a lot more than they are?

my finches have 3 eggs in there nest an they take turns sitting on them an at least one parent is always in the nest it's never left empty

finches will start to set after the 3rd egg is layed if they are new parents they will sometimes not take care of the babies the first time.

did you see the parents mate? if not the eggs may not be fertile

an yea when finches have eggs in the nest they will chase the other finches Alot cuz they don't want the other birds near the nest

i have about 13 finches if you have anymore questions just ask me : ) i hope this helps

They love to breed so as long as you have a nest box in the cage they will always lay eggs an raise babies

but there have been time were when i take the nest box out cuz i only let them raise one set of babies at a time. anyways when i take the nest box out they have made a nest in the food tray a few times an lay eggs in that but most the time they wont lay any eggs unless theres a nest box/basket in the cage

Quote:
yes they have mated...they have been parents before I got them,so they are pros at it .There are only the two of them in the cage. thanks for your help

Quote:
oops, they have been looking for more, so I gave them more today...I hope their eggs are ok...and not buried.

Back
Top Bottom