Finches are eating all the chicken feed

Doodadman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
It's gone from a small problem to a very large one. Any ideas to keep them out of the coop would be greatly apprciated.

What kind of finch? If they are just those European Sparrows that are ubiquitous here, you can trap them as they are non native and a pest.

http://chuckspurplemartinpage.com/spartrap.htm

Here is a trap I considered making till I found out there are too many kinds of birds visiting my coop (some of which are native). I have just settled with feeding enough that the chickens will eat it all in the morning, then feeding what they will eat at night.

Last edited:
I saw a post where someone had built a feeder that had a cover. The chickens would open it by standing on a pressure plate, and the lid would drop back down when they finished eating and walked away.

If you're handy and enjoy projects... Think it took a bit of time to get the chickens to start using it.

If wild birds are entering through a pop door, you could try hanging a string or cord "curtain" over the opening. (Although the wild birds will probably figure out how to get through before the chickens!
lol.png
) I wonder if they could learn to use a cat flap?

If they are squeezing through the wire, you could cover the run with plastic aviary netting, which is cheaper than using smaller mesh wire.

Lots of good ideas. I tried netting already. I though about the cat flap. Beyond that I'm not really that handy. Being a chicken farmer has been a stretch for me. But an enjoyable, learning stretch.

I did a little research and found the type of feeder I had seen before. If you're interested, look for "treadle feeder" on BYC (hit advanced search and choose *title only* to limit results. -You probably know this already, but when I finally figured out how to search this way, it was a revelation!
roll.png
)

You can purchase metal fabricated treadle feeders, but they might be kind of pricey. There is a post with building plans for a wooden one. Maybe someone who enjoys woodworking could take it on. Trade for eggs? Early Christmas present?

Birds can't get into my run when the pop door is down. With just 4 hens, maybe put out just enough food for them to finish before you let them out or pick the food bowl up, until they return for the evening, when they get their next ration. If the wild birds are entering the coop/run when the hens are there, I'm surprised they don't chase them away. My pullets won't let any birds land in their territory. They race across the yard and scare them off, even though I don't put food outside the run. Luckily, no birds have gotten into my run when it's open. (yet)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom