Finding a friend for a lonely chick

Jul 13, 2020
We only got one egg to hatch and so we have a lonely chick who desperately needs a friend. Availability is very limited and I’m finding it very difficult to find very young female chicks as we do not really want another rooster. I have only found two options:

1. Buy a 6 days old unsexed chick today
2. Wait until Tuesday (3 days time) to get a 10 days old female

I’m worried the longer I leave it our chick will get too lonely and it will be more difficult for the chicks to integrate. On the other hand, if I manage to get one today there is always a risk that it is a rooster. I don’t know if I will be permitted to choose the chick because then I could try and look at the feathers to guess the sex?

If you were in this position, what would you do? Thank you very much.

We only got one egg to hatch and so we have a lonely chick who desperately needs a friend. Availability is very limited and I’m finding it very difficult to find very young female chicks as we do not really want another rooster. I have only found two options:

1. Buy a 6 days old unsexed chick today
2. Wait until Tuesday (3 days time) to get a 10 days old female

I’m worried the longer I leave it our chick will get too lonely and it will be more difficult for the chicks to integrate. On the other hand, if I manage to get one today there is always a risk that it is a rooster. I don’t know if I will be permitted to choose the chick because then I could try and look at the feathers to guess the sex?

If you were in this position, what would you do? Thank you very much.
Just a little update - we got two 10 days old female chicks yesterday and they've settled in nicely. Our chick was a little puzzled at first but now they are happily getting along - foraging in their box and flying after each other! The two chicks were exactly the same size as ours (just larger wings) and there's no bullying going on yet (and hopefully never!). Our little chick is still quite a people chick but now she has good company and friends to snuggle up with! Thank you all for your advice, I would be lying if I said it wasn't difficult trying to find some friends for our chick, but I think it is worthwhile now!

Back
Top Bottom