Finding antibiotics for my flock

Pics

boyscout002

Chirping
Jun 18, 2018
I recently had an attack on my flock and had to take each bird to the vet for treatment. Of course, I have been raising chickens for over 30 years and tossed out my last expired bottle of Penicillin. Where can I obtain a useful antibiotic for wounds and respiratory issues. As always, I went to the local feed store to freshen up my stock of meds and wound care products only to learn that they do not carry these products. Can someone point me in the right direction? It's so frustrating when you can do what is needed for your flock but when forced to take each bird to the vet they charge $75.00 a bird. I realize in hindsight that maybe I should have just culled the entire flock but wanted to keep some of my special Maran's. Please help!!

Looks like Maryland followed California in banning the purchase except through a vet. I checked a couple of sites (valleyvet.com) only showed a shipping restriction on penicillin G procaine for California, so you might try to see if you can get it shipped, but also possible the website just isn't current. Fish antibiotics are what many use, they are available online with no restrictions that I'm aware of, if you have a high end tropical fish supply anywhere nearby you may be able to get them there, but probably cheaper on line. You can get amoxicillin, metronidazole, etc. This is one source, there are many : https://www.campingsurvival.com/fish-and-bird-antibiotics.html
You could also cross state lines and buy in a state that still allows many of them OTC, one other poster on here did that as they were close. Maybe some other people will have more suggestions for you.

I am going...once again to see the local vet. Do you have any suggestions of which medications I should keep on hand. After all, I have spent a lot of money I don't see why they would have a problem giving me a limited supply for my flock. just spill it out and I will see what I can do. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am going...once again to see the local vet. Do you have any suggestions of which medications I should keep on hand. After all, I have spent a lot of money I don't see why they would have a problem giving me a limited supply for my flock. just spill it out and I will see what I can do. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
What sorts of meds have they prescribed? Let us know and we'll tell you how to get enough to treat your flock. :D

Back
Top Bottom