Finding fodder seeds?

I'm in a similar situation. My flock free roamed most of every day, but since we moved, they have been shut in their pen due to lots of new predators and just a lack of good foraging spots because we are still working the land. You and I both can only do what we can do.

I buy whatever I can and wherever I can find them I am currently growing a mix I picked up on sale at TSC - I think I got it for $5 for a lb (normally $10). I started them 2 days ago, and they have already begun to sprout. We will be using rotating paddocks by moving the electric netting I purchased from Premier1. It's a far cry from what they are used to, but it's better than no access to greens.

I'm in a similar situation. My flock free roamed most of every day, but since we moved, they have been shut in their pen due to lots of new predators and just a lack of good foraging spots because we are still working the land. You and I both can only do what we can do.

I buy whatever I can and wherever I can find them I am currently growing a mix I picked up on sale at TSC - I think I got it for $5 for a lb (normally $10). I started them 2 days ago, and they have already begun to sprout. We will be using rotating paddocks by moving the electric netting I purchased from Premier1. It's a far cry from what they are used to, but it's better than no access to greens.

What did you pick up? I know they have bermuda lawn seed but it’s through the roof. I’m trying to save on my feed bill, not spend more. Have you ever tried the Kentucky fescue? It’s more for seeding horse/cattle fields but it’s decently priced.

I have been drooling over electric nets but they’re out of my college student budget. I have been pondering if I could create my own with electric string for livestock and doing a cargo net out of paracord or bailing twine. 🧐

I have some of the All Purpose Forage from TSC on my property - the annual rye did its thing and promptly disappeared, the tiny amount of perennial rye in the mix hasn't made a second appearance (still 90+ here, most days), and the fescue which established did not dominate. Nor do my birds seems much interested. They spend more time hopping for the millet seeds that sprouted form one of those $9 bulk generic "bird food" bags. But if you are renting a yard, you can hardly scatter that, and it grows way to tall for tray planting before it produces.
Oh, and Sorghum, they fight over those stalks, too. Same problem as the millet - until they seeded, the birds showed no interest.

I have a number of native rosette grasses that have now gone to seed, my birds show some interest, but I couldn't for the life of me identify which Dichanthelium they are (probably several) more specifically than that, and the USDA/Farm Extension Office people can't conduct site visits while COVID.... Google identifies them as "grass", and I've not tried the "picture this" cell phone app, which is supposed to be much better at plant identification. The red sorrel, they only pick at (its a native deposited by the wildlife, not something I deliberately planted).

(Without access to other more experienced resources, my farm/property is currently proceeding on a "try a bit of everything, see what works here" basis while we build. Its very diverse, which I'm told the goats will eventually enjoy once we add them. For now, its all chicken pasture).

I’ve bought smaller quantities of wheat, clover, barley, and rye online with good luck. Think I bought last from seed world.

For quantity for a good price? How about black oil sunflower seeds? My TSC has a 40 lb bag for $18.

I’ve bought smaller quantities of wheat, clover, barley, and rye online with good luck. Think I bought last from seed world.

For quantity for a good price? How about black oil sunflower seeds? My TSC has a 40 lb bag for $18.
I will definitely look into seed world!! Thank you for the suggestion.
My TSC has 50 lb bag for $12.

What did you pick up? I know they have bermuda lawn seed but it’s through the roof. I’m trying to save on my feed bill, not spend more. Have you ever tried the Kentucky fescue? It’s more for seeding horse/cattle fields but it’s decently priced.

I have been drooling over electric nets but they’re out of my college student budget. I have been pondering if I could create my own with electric string for livestock and doing a cargo net out of paracord or bailing twine. 🧐
I actually bought the stuff they make got chickens. It was in the lawn section, and it's some mixture thing. I can't find the bag nor the product on the TSC website to show you a pic. I only needed 1 lb, so the one bag was good for me.

The electric netting was PRICEY. But it's the only way I will feel comfortable letting them out of their "jail." Foxes, foxes galore! And coyote.

Sometimes you can sprout whole grains that are sold as animal feed (corn, oats, wheat, etc.) It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. If you already have some, it's easy to try a bit and see.

Back
Top Bottom