Finding lost chick!? How can i locate her at this time?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
Today, one of my silkies managed to find a way out of her pen (will be fixing that before they go back in it.) And seems to have been missing for a while. We have hawks and eagles, as well as foxes and other predators and have been searching for a while now with no luck of finding her. She is a bright white chick. Either she went into hiding or became food for some animal while we were working. Hoping the first. How could I try luring her out???

Do you ever give them mealworms from the bag? Mine come running when they hear the bag shake. We've also trained them to come running to the chicken dance song. (I know it doesn't help now, but maybe in the future) Hope you are able to find her!
No, they've never had it. We don't teach our silkies the chicken call because we don't free range them like we do our main flock. Our adults know it because they used to free range, but not our babies unfortunately. Maybe we should still teach it to them. Hope she isn't dead...

Don't give up hope. I have had more than one chicken run away from home and disappear. While I was calling them and bawling my eyes out, two of them had simply decided to spend the night under the deck, behind the lattice. When I started feeding the others, the runaways dashed out for breakfast.

The third was missing at dinner time, and I searched for her on and off until well after dark, calling her name, shaking a scoop of food, yelling, "Chick, chick" until I was hoarse. The next morning, there she was. calming grazing in the neighbor's field. Even then, the stubborn little girl made me hike out to the field and bring her back.

I will keep you and her in my thoughts and try to WILL her back to you!

How old is the chick and will it die without the broody mama's heat?

I would take the broody mama out into the area without any chicks and let her loose. She will call for them. Maybe the lost one will come out of hiding if mama hen is calling it.

How old is she? Does she know where “home” is- if yes maybe she’ll be back at dark?🤞🏻
No. She's never been outside her pen. She's only one or so months old
If you have another chick, you could try to get it to make some noisy and this might bring the other chick out of hiding or at least answer back so you can locate her.
Fingers crossed you find her safe.
Our other chicks are always chirping. You can hear it through the coop door.

How old is the chick and will it die without the broody mama's heat?

I would take the broody mama out into the area without any chicks and let her loose. She will call for them. Maybe the lost one will come out of hiding if mama hen is calling it.
She was hatched in an incubator. We hand raised. No broody to help us keep an eye on the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom