Finding organic feed becoming difficult where you are?

Peruvian

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Vermont
I have been raising 60 or so birds per year for the last 5 years and am finding that fewer feed stores are carrying organic feed. One farm/mill about 1 1/2 hours from me has 'non-certified' organic feed (good enough for me) regularly but any of the feed/seed stores only special order it.

Is it as difficult for you?

It's available easily where I am (Illinois) - but I've found my layers waste SO much more organic feed than pellets - that in the end, it's really not worth the cost. (40# bag where 10#'s is wasted vs. 50# bag where 0#'s is wasted). Further, the 40# bag of organic feed runs $25 per bag; the 50# bag of pelleted feed runs $17 per bag. Yes, it does add up.
Looking for a new source for my feed anyways, as I'm not pleased with what's being offered for meaties (nothing) from current supplier. They don't have anyone who raises meaties, so they don't stock feed for 'em nor offer the chicks for sale. They offered to add CX to their layer order - at $.15 more each chick than the hatchery shipping direct to me offered! Um. Thanks but no.

Back
Top Bottom