Finding reason for peacock death

vanconk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
I had a 4 yr old Indian blue male that has died. He did not appear to feel well (wings droopy) and laying down a lot and the little fluffy feathers on his back where raised up. He had no swelling or lesion that I could see and had no runny eyes or nose. He seemed to be eating and drinking ok and roosting at night. I did worm him but made no improvement. By day 4 he was dead. Looking on the internet I could not find anything that I could say he had. I have two others and are concerned for their health. They appear to be ok but am keeping an eye on them. They are kept together with no other fowl close to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What wormer did you use? If he had coccicidia he would of needed corid instead of being wormed. What color was his poop?

hugs.gif
Without knowing his diet,worming schedule, where he lived and in what it will be hard to tell, perhaps you could share more info.
worm meds was a good question to start.
Sorry for your loss when peas get sick they can hide it so good that most time when you notice it they are gone by the next day.

Sorry for your loss...

From what I've read, peafowl are susceptible to all types of poultry worms , but the capillary worm seems to cause the most damage. I'm still researching the most effective treatment and so far I have found that fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) can be used, but it *must* be used several days in a row. Albendazole (Valbazen) is another one that people use on chickens, but it has been known to cause aplastic anemia in other species, so I don't know how safe it would be for peafowl. The effective dose of albendazole (Valbazen) is .2ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth once and repeat in ten days.

Coccidiosis and Blackhead are also a possibility Coccidiosis treatment is amprolium (Corid or Amprol, powder or liquid), see this link for dosing info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Blackhead treatment is metronidazole (Flagyl, Fish-Zole or Meditrich) no less than 30mg per 2,2 pound once a day by mouth for 5 days.

-Kathy

This is something that I found on treating capillary worms in birds:

For Capillaria in most species:
• 50 mg/kg PO q24 for 5 days
It's from page 10 of this:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470344552.app1/pdf

That translates to fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or Paste) .5ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth five days in a row. I'm still looking for other published info on effective capillary worm treatment.

-Kathy

We are in NC. He ate wild game bird feed and fruits and veggies. I worm with wazzine once a year. Their are two others that are currently showing no symptoms. He did have dark loose poop and the small fluffy feathers on his back where raised up. No swelling on head or neck. No runny nose or eyes. He did seem to still be eating and drinking. His body weight was good. I inspected his body after death but could not find anything wrong. Any ideas?

Wazine only kills round worms so we use safe guard for goat it kills just about all worms and what it doesn't I treat for with other meds if I suspect them, like tape worms, safe guard for dogs will work for that
we keep our peas here on a worming schedule of ever 2 to 3 months depending on the weather if it has been raining a lot I worm every 2 months if not every 3 . I also treat for bird lice after breeding season weather I see them or not as I have learned at breeding season the hens do not dust bath as they should and the males do not dust bath at all making the susceptible to external parasites

,was he free ranged or in a pen?
Is the game bird feed grain or pellets?
Casportpony has giving some good reads on other illnesse

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom