Finding reason for peacock death

What is a good worming schedule to be on? Like what meds do you use and when?

That's a great question, and one I've been looking into. What I've found so far is that low doses of fenbendazole three days in a row (20mg/kg) will treat cecal worms, roundworms, tapeworms and gapeworms and another source recommends 50mg/kg five days in a row to treat capillary worms.

When using fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste):
20mg/kg = .2 ml per 2.2 pounds
50mg/kg = .5 ml per 2.2 pounds

1cc = 1ml

Average peahen weight is 3-4kg (6.6-8.8 pounds)
Average peacock weight is 4-6kg (8.8-13.2 pounds)

At he 20mg/kg level
Hen - .6ml to .8ml
Cock - .8ml to 1.2ml

At the 50mg/kg level
Hen - 1.5ml to 2ml
Cock - 2ml to 3ml

Tomorrow I'm going to call my vet and ask her to recommend a worming program and about using Valbazen.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Worming will depend on the worm load in your area.
you can worm your birds for the recommended 3 days and on the 4th day they can pick up an egg from the dirt and the cycle starts all over, I think it takes 30 days for a worm to mature from hatch and start laying eggs so if you have lots of worms in your area your birds need to be wormed every 2 to 3 months to keep them worm free.

What to get an idea what your load is worm every bird on your place and see what comes out, if you see lots of worms you got a heavy load in your area,.
wet warm grounds from constant rains are the worst time for birds to pick up all kinds a stuff, these things thrive in dampness.

That's a great question, and one I've been looking into. What I've found so far is that low doses of fenbendazole three days in a row (20mg/kg) will treat cecal worms, roundworms, tapeworms and gapeworms and another source recommends 50mg/kg five days in a row to treat capillary worms.

When using fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste):
20mg/kg = .2 ml per 2.2 pounds
50mg/kg = .5 ml per 2.2 pounds

1cc = 1ml

Average peahen weight is 3-4kg (6.6-8.8 pounds)
Average peacock weight is 4-6kg (8.8-13.2 pounds)

At he 20mg/kg level
Hen - .6ml to .8ml
Cock - .8ml to 1.2ml

At the 50mg/kg level
Hen - 1.5ml to 2ml
Cock - 2ml to 3ml

Tomorrow I'm going to call my vet and ask her to recommend a worming program and about using Valbazen.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I hope you can find out a good worming routine and I am sure others would too.

Worming will depend on the worm load in your area.
you can worm your birds for the recommended 3 days and on the 4th day they can pick up an egg from the dirt and the cycle starts all over, I think it takes 30 days for a worm to mature from hatch and start laying eggs so if you have lots of worms in your area your birds need to be wormed every 2 to 3 months to keep them worm free.

What to get an idea what your load is worm every bird on your place and see what comes out, if you see lots of worms you got a heavy load in your area,.
wet warm grounds from constant rains are the worst time for birds to pick up all kinds a stuff, these things thrive in dampness.

Well this summer hasn't been the greatest because of all the rain. I've already wormed my chicks because I started letting them free range a little bit with my supervision. I have wormed with safeguard for the 3 days mixing it with water and using the ivermectin pour on on the base of their necks. So the next time I worm them should I use wazine or just use the ivermectin and safeguard everytime I worm?

Stick with safeguard for goats it kills round worms like wazine it just kills alot of others that may be around except tape worms if that becomes a problem then use safeguard for dogs, and ivermec and keep fish zole on hand in case of blackhead, I ain't never heard off it around her nor has anyone else I know with birds but I still keep meds for it just in case it ever does pop up

I have no proof, but according to a study and many published articles on the web, Safeguard will kill tapes when given at 20mg/kg three days in a row... These are things that I'm hoping the vet can shed some light on.

Zazouse, is this what you're talking about?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom