Finding Shows

SlowMoneyFarm

Chirping
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Nauvoo
This seems the biggest secret of the poultry world. :-( I hear people talk about shows in a general way but finding specifics of what show on what day at what time in what location is difficult, making it impossible to go to any. Am in northwest AL - when I've asked previously the answer was join the APA. OK that makes sense - I did that. I got an October newsletter yesterday, but nothing on shows, nothing on the website about where to find shows, etc. So am no further along with information at finding shows other than paying a membership for something that doesn't really do anything. I suppose there's points for competing in shows for members but if I can't find a show to attend to even see then it's tough to know.

We did go to the Crossroads - and for volume was very difficult to find/get what we were looking for. So we're still looking for key birds, as there wasn't a way to find the exhibitors easily of what was there. (Yes we asked at the booths). There was but a few people that'd even talk to us so it wasn't a real productive time, but did buy some there and would like to keep trying.

Where do we find shows?

Hi SMF, I live in australia and people over here have the same problems. I'm setting up a forum where all info will be in a central location.

I won't post my domain name as I have read the infraction rules and I do not want to get banned.

I do know of one site that would be of great use to you and others. The site is for a free download of an Exhibition Poultry Magazine which you can find at exhibitionpoultry.net Please do not remove the link moderators as it is a valuable resource for those who show.

Thanks. I'd like to improve the flock and add some show birds but can't find shows. Guidance would be good. Hearing it's fun etc etc is great but seems like an exclusive club somehow. Details would help greatly - I sometimes find results but that's weeks/months afterwards. Maybe it's just something "everybody knows".
idunno.gif

jumpy.gif
:jumpy

It's too bad that you got some bad advice. If you are going to exhibit birds yourself, yes, you should of course join the APA, but that is not where you find the show listings. For that you must subscribe to the Poultry Press newspaper. Just about every show in the country takes out an ad a month or two before their show, giving you at least the contact information for the show secretary. You will not find a more complete, up to date list anywhere.

In order to find the owners of certain birds while at the show, simply obtain an exhibitor's list from the show secretary. Some shows do charge for this if you are not an exhibitor yourself. This is of course understandable, as the printing and paper do cost the club money. There is also a certain etiquette to be followed when approaching exhibitors with questions about their birds. Do not bother them whilst they are busy cooping in or out, or while their birds are being judged. If unsure, simply ask when would be a good time to ask about their birds. Most breeders are happy to talk to novices, if some common courtesy and sense are used. Do not expect that the birds which are entered in the show will be for sale. Occasionally they are, usually by lower caliber exhibitors who just don't "get it" with respect to what entails being a respectable breeder. Often true breeders have their best birds at the show, and their breeder birds at home. There may be a waiting list to obtain some of their stock, depending on the time of year. Most respectable breeders are not in it for the money, nor to sell birds to you simply because you want them. Starter stock becomes available only occasionally, at least that which is worth anything. Some breeders occasionally have decent starter stock available in the sale section, but more often than not this area is simply a place to get rid of culls, or the provence of the huckster looking for sucker on which to make a quick buck, not those who wish to see new breeders get a good start.

Thanks - I saw the 'big shows' listed but that's surely not the only shows. I don't mind joining the organizations, I'd just thought there'd be more information.

We arrived Saturday at crossroads but finding who was in charge was difficult at best. I didn't see any judging going on (unfortunately) let alone anyone around the cages, or anyone who knew who owned the birds. I appreciate the info - apparently much misinformation as I understood there were many sale birds available and that was *the* place to buy. :-/ I had hoped to find an ancona cockerel and some blue silkies for a youth - but not the case.

There seems to be much looking down at hatchery birds but with the exception of my pair of Dark Cornish (which I found on here) that's all we've been able to get. I'd like to improve quality but that seems a far off dream.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the Crossroads show. There was a seperate building next door with hundreds of sale birds. There were a lot of good birds there as well as some that were not.
Tim Bowles had some S.C. & R.C. Anconas there. Good Anconas are hard to find, Tim does have good ones. There were a lot of Silkies in all colors.
Here are a few shows that are fairly close to you.
Feb.4 Northwest Ga. @Dalton,Ga.- Christina Duncan-706-952-4157 [email protected]
Jan.7&8 Lake City,Fla. Danny Padgett- 386 496 2561
Jan.14 Jefferson,Ga. [email protected]
Feb.18&19 Newnan,Ga. [email protected]
I have been to the Newnan,Ga and the Fla. show and they both have large sales areas.
The Alabama Bantam Club holds a show in mid-October. Contact [email protected]
www.poultrypress.com

Thanks for the info - enjoyed what we saw at Crossroads but couldn't find the right people to connect with I guess. It's hard to find anyone on here with Anconas so I knew that wouldn't be easy - had a trio but the rooster died, so I have two hens and zip to do with them. I found some there but couldn't find the owner of any of them.
Maybe there will be something at the other ones. Thanks.

"There seems to be much looking down at hatchery birds but with the exception of my pair of Dark Cornish (which I found on here) that's all we've been able to get. I'd like to improve quality but that seems a far off dream."

SMF

I think you misunderstand about hatchery birds -- and, I might add, mixed breed, barnyard mix layers, and any other circumstance that would produce various chicks -- that there is no judgment on the non-show flocks. They were just not produced with breeding to a set standard of perfection (look and other characteristics deemed desirable for each breed and color or variety). It just isn't the purpose for breeding and feeding those chicks. Hatchery stock is for making lots of chicks of vigor for production (eggs) or consumption (meat) and some fancy breeds that usually will not have the extremes of type that you would find if bred for type. Does that make sense?

At a poultry show, the exhibitors interest of the day is exhibition style poultry. At another place like home, out having a beer, etc they may set around and talk about how many pounds of feed to make 100Lbs of meat harvest or how many flats of market eggs produced by the "hatchery" style production flocks. Really! Those of us that don't have production-bred (hatchery-style) often don't just 'cause time and space and money is more important so can only have our SB (standard bred) flocks.

Go to another show, line up a mentor for a short time (say 1/2 hr) by asking for a "buddy" on here (your state thread and breed(s) and find a committee person when you are lost (they usually wear a badge or tag)

Best of luck

k/

I think you misunderstand about hatchery birds -- and, I might add, mixed breed, barnyard mix layers, and any other circumstance that would produce various chicks -- that there is no judgment on the non-show flocks. They were just not produced with breeding to a set standard of perfection (look and other characteristics deemed desirable for each breed and color or variety). It just isn't the purpose for breeding and feeding those chicks. Hatchery stock is for making lots of chicks of vigor for production (eggs) or consumption (meat) and some fancy breeds that usually will not have the extremes of type that you would find if bred for type. Does that make sense?

At a poultry show, the exhibitors interest of the day is exhibition style poultry. At another place like home, out having a beer, etc they may set around and talk about how many pounds of feed to make 100Lbs of meat harvest or how many flats of market eggs produced by the "hatchery" style production flocks. Really! Those of us that don't have production-bred (hatchery-style) often don't just 'cause time and space and money is more important so can only have our SB (standard bred) flocks.

Well put. It seems like common sense to me. You wouldn't go to a dealership to buy a race car. You wouldn't go to a junkyard to buy a reliable vehicle for your wife. You wouldn't go to a pet store to buy the next Westminster Kennel Club winner. You wouldn't go to Westminster to buy a seeing eye dog. You decide what purpose you want something for, and then go to the appropriate place to get it. Simple.​

Back
Top Bottom