Finding the right silkie

Lots of people keep lots of different breeds as house pets. Silkies are a good option because they're generally docile and they can't fly. However, at the end of the day, they're still chickens. I keep mine in a coop just like any "normal" breed. They go out in the rain, snow, whatever and they scratch around in the mud and grass for bugs and anything else they can find.

And for future reference, its perfectly acceptable to put all of your questions into one single post rather than a bunch of separate ones. It's keeps the forum from getting cluttered up. I'd suggest you head to the Breeding, Showing and Genetics section of doing a forum search for the Silkie thread. All the info and pics you could ever want will be there.

Last edited:
I hear people say they keep them in the house but don't they need to forage outside too

I have an indoor girl but she goes out in the yard for a good deal of the day .We enjoy having her around inside and it works for our home and our girl
love.gif
She would be REALLY sad if she never had access to the outside to forge, sunbathe and dust every day. These things are normal everyday chicken activities they enjoy, so please make sure yours has these options available daily
big_smile.png

Hi I'm getting a couple of young silky at the weekend. Was told there 6 weeks old, she said they look like hens how can I be sure she is selling me hens and not cocks! Is there any noticeable differents I need to check for.

Hi I'm getting a couple of young silky at the weekend. Was told there 6 weeks old, she said they look like hens how can I be sure she is selling me hens and not cocks! Is there any noticeable differents I need to check for.

You can pay $15-25 for a DNA test. Of course, you would already have to purchase the birds, collect the samples and mail them in and then wait for the results to come back. Other than that, you're at the mercy of time. Most of mine I can't tell gender on until they're 3-6 months old, though I do occasionally get a boy thats blaringly obvious. And sometimes chicks I'm just sure are girls, blossom overnight into boys.

You can pay $15-25 for a DNA test. Of course, you would already have to purchase the birds, collect the samples and mail them in and then wait for the results to come back. Other than that, you're at the mercy of time. Most of mine I can't tell gender on until they're 3-6 months old, though I do occasionally get a boy thats blaringly obvious. And sometimes chicks I'm just sure are girls, blossom overnight into boys.

YEP....I never can tell until it crows or lays an egg....LOL!

Back
Top Bottom