Finish moult will she lay?

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

We took in a lavender Brahma around 1 year old in July. She had been bullied and was a mess (irony is she's a bit of a bully herself!) Anyway we are pretty sure she hasn't laid an egg in her time with us. Her moult finished around a month - 6 weeks ago.

Should we expect eggs from her or is it more likely she'll restart in the spring.

None of our layers have changed their laying patterns yet even though the nights are drawing in. They were always early to bed so they are only going up about 40minutes earlier.

She's eating, drinking and having a few treats. Seems healthy and happy but she's been through a lot and I'm happy to wait but I want to make sure I don't need to do anything else for her at the moment.

She'll lay when she's ready.
How are you sure her molt is done, it can take quite awhile after all the feathers drops for all the replacements to come in.
How old is she, and your other birds, in months?

She'll lay when she's ready.
How are you sure her molt is done, it can take quite awhile after all the feathers drops for all the replacements to come in.
How old is she, and your other birds, in months?

She will for sure but I'd like to know if I am keeping an eye out now or wait for the spring. I'm certain she's had all her feathers back for quite a few weeks now.

She is around 16-18 months, I don't know her exact age but she started laying in March and I was told when I got her in July she was around 12 months.

Everyone else is younger, we have some between 30 odd weeks and 7 weeks.

She will for sure but I'd like to know if I am keeping an eye out now or wait for the spring. I'm certain she's had all her feathers back for quite a few weeks now.

She is around 16-18 months, I don't know her exact age but she started laying in March and I was told when I got her in July she was around 12 months.

Everyone else is younger, we have some between 30 odd weeks and 7 weeks.
She will probably not lay again until the days start to lengthen,
that could be anytime between January to April.

x2 on unlikely to lay again until days start getting longer. Molting is often their signal to turn off things for the rest of the year.

Thank you for replying, she's been in moult since May according to her previous owner. She came to us at the end of July definitely in full moult mode.
I won't rush her just want to be sure we are doing everything we need to do to keep her healthy.

Thank you for replying, she's been in moult since May according to her previous owner. She came to us at the end of July definitely in full moult mode.
I won't rush her just want to be sure we are doing everything we need to do to keep her healthy.
Yikes, going to be a bit of a wait then. It sounded like she needed to regain some body condition when she came to you, so that plus the molt, plus natural shortening of day length, are all contributing factors.

Back
Top Bottom