Finished Aviary and Duck Pictures!

Yeah, Could you walk us through how you came up with the design? You said in the earlier thread that the frame was from a greenhouse? You also have a solar powered hot wire running the perimeter? The house design is simple and neat. Is it open inside so they can hop up if they want or is the top part for storage of feed etc?

It looks truly wonderful. Nice job!

top part? what top part are you talking about? do you mean what appears to be a hutch or next box inside the door in the first pic? if so, that's a building behind the pen, not in the pen, lol.... i went back to see what top part your were talking about, and that's all i could figure you meant. lol

One of the pictures is named 'New House'. It is open all across the bottom but is much taller than it seems like a duck would need. Just wondering what is inside that big area.

Quote:
The main frame was a greenhouse kit...it came with the straight posts that are pounded in the ground every six feet. It also came with the curved arches that attach to two posts on each side. Then we used 2x6 and went around the whole perimeter at the bottom. Next, we put the long metal pipe (perlin) across all of the arches(the pipe that is at the top of all that arches) Next we added 2x4s around the whole thing 16" up from the 2x6. These were then used as an easier way to attach the osb sight barrier. To add extra support we attached the osb to 2x4's on the inside too (as you see in some pictures). Next we framed out the ends with 2x4's and also put the door in. Then we attached chicken wire to both ends....stretch it tight and put lots of zip ties on it....then we put the flight netting on. This took a lot of hands and had to be pretty precise. We began by attaching the netting to one end and stretched it across. To attach the netting to the sides, we used 1x2's and stapled the netting underneath them...you can see it in the first two pictures....then we attached the netting to the other end (again, lots of zipties!) Then we attached the wire around, pretty self explanatory. Finally we brought dirt and filled in the sides outside and the perimeter inside.

This is a pretty brief guide, but hopefully it answers some questions...maybe i should make a big how to in pdf form with pictures and everything!

Quote:
Inside is just empty space up to the ceiling, also the ceiling slants from front to back, so there is not as much empty space as you think. Its is just temporary because soon we are buying one of those dog house igloos for them...

OMG! - do you get to enter this some place for some kind of a prize? I'm so jealous - and my wheels are turning and turning and turning wondering if there is anyway to do something similar? Fantastic job! THANKS for sharing.

Great aviary with great ducks.
clap.gif

That is impressive! What a beautiful aviary! I wish I had one like that. I like all the stump and logs, as well as the pond surrounded by rocks... very natural looking. Your ducks are beautiful too. I just order a pair of mandarins and considering a pair of ringed teals. How are your teals in relation to your other ducks. Are they more flighty?

Back
Top Bottom