Finished building our first coop!

msgrace316

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
My husband built our little chickies this beautiful coop. Can’t wait to paint it. I’m thinking to do the deep litter method. If anyones got any tips on how to get started that’d be appreciated! I’m a little overwhelmed with the thought of it but have read great things. I’m also concerned we may need to add another roosting bar eventually but they are small enough right now that they fit fine. They are happy chooks.

Attachments

• 2EA45EFE-7FA1-40A5-9AB5-FE0A10DE298C.jpeg
    2EA45EFE-7FA1-40A5-9AB5-FE0A10DE298C.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 98D31BB6-4F98-40D6-9222-423DB461A75D.jpeg
    98D31BB6-4F98-40D6-9222-423DB461A75D.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks nice. Two things, though:

1) The chicken wire won't keep out predators so don't be surprised if a raccoon or something breaks through someday.

2) You might consider putting rungs on your ladder so the chickens have something to grip.
For sure gonna put the rungs for them, just kinda took these pics in between. As for the wire, I was reading into using hardware cloth. I don’t live near any wooded areas or anything so I didn’t see predators being a problem but I think just incase I will go ahead and use hardware cloth. Thanks for the tips.

For sure gonna put the rungs for them, just kinda took these pics in between. As for the wire, I was reading into using hardware cloth. I don’t live near any wooded areas or anything so I didn’t see predators being a problem but I think just incase I will go ahead and use hardware cloth. Thanks for the tips.

At the very least, just about everywhere has stray dogs and dogs go straight through chicken wire.

You won't regret it.

I live in the suburbs with no open land around but I still lost my first three hens in a fox raid. I thought there weren't any foxes around. I was wrong.

It was an awful shock. Please do spare yourself the tragedy and replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth.
Very good point! That is so awful. I’m sorry that happened. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom