Finished coop and my little chickens!

allieloveschickens

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2010
San Diego
I finally finished by chicken coop!
Hope you all like it! I really appreciated all the great coop designs on this site, it was very helpful having other designs to work off of. I'm no carpenter but I think it turned out pretty well
smile.png
Here are some pictures of the process, and the final product (and some pics of my girls because they are adorable!)

My wonderful construction crew, my bf and a couple good friends- started with one side:

58116_dsc_0171.jpg

The frame almost complete:

58116_dsc_0177.jpg

done for the day.

58116_dsc_0183.jpg

The coop stained and in the ground, it is right next to our little garden.

58116_dsc_0021.jpg

58116_dsc_0023.jpg

The finished coop! After a MONTH! geez.

58116_dsc_0164.jpg

58116_dsc_0167.jpg

inside the coop

58116_dsc_0163.jpg

58116_dsc_0180.jpg

My pretty girls!

58116_dsc_0174.jpg

58116_dsc_0172.jpg

My goals for the coop were to create a safe, well ventilated home for my chickens. It gets very very hot here in San Diego so lots of air flow was key. We also have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, opossums, feral cats, (my own cat! such a naughty kitty) so I wanted it to be very secure. I used welded wire on the run, it is buried a 14 inches deep, and I am currently putting pavers around the coop to further deter any digging. The coop has hardware cloth ventilation windows. There is one acrylic window facing out that we made for free, and on the left wall inside the run is a nice glass window I got at a used construction materials lot. Over all this coop has cost me probably $425-$450 give or take (sorry I haven't been keeping very good track!) it was pricey but worth it! I wish I could have found more used materials- but no such luck. Thanks for looking! let me know if you have any questions.

Great job!
thumbsup.gif
You might want to consider adding quarter or half inch hardware cloth around the bottom 2 to 3 feet of the coop, especially if you already know that you have predators. Raccoons, for one, will reach through openings as large as the ones on your run and grab a chicken's head. The result is devastating as you can imagine. Good luck with your chooks!

That is definitely an addition I need to make, the chicks are only out during the day, but you just never know! Hopefully I will get the hardware cloth on this weekend- I need to go out and buy more.
Thanks for the suggestion!

GREAT JOB!!! I especially like the fact that it is so light inside. Chickens can't see in the dark so I have always felt the more light the better. Welcome to this addiction.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom