(FINISHED) New coop! FL, tin roof, bantam tractor, Christmas lights, pictures!

jespere

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Yesterday, we started building our new coop!
clap.gif
Its a 6x3 tractor with a slanted tin roof and coop with nesting boxes and a roost. So excited!! I have two OEGB and they have been making do in the "temp" tractor for about 2 months now. They seem to like it alright, no stress just some boredom occasionally. We let them out after work for about an hour of running around and causing a ruckus but they love it so much. We are in C.Fl so our coop has to be able to handle mild coldness (less then 30 freeze days) and heat with a breeze in the summer (heat index ~100, humidity ~85%). Our coop will have 18ft^2 of grass with a raised coop inside to house a roost, 2 nest boxes, and some grass clippings to make for an easy cleanup.

I will be updating it on "my page" with more photos but just wanted to share here too! I'm so excited to give my ladies a real home
smile.png
wee.gif

Here are the plans:

IMG_20120108_154453.jpg

After cutting the major pieces and starting to notch all the lap joints...

IMG_20120108_145049.jpg

This is a close up of the lap joints and notches, and the joint after being glued and attached.

IMG_20120108_145040.jpg

IMG_20120108_154122.jpg

Hard at work rasping and filing!

IMG_20120108_151549.jpg

Will update again soon!
pop.gif

Last edited:
Tonight we got some more work on the coop done:

dewalting.jpg

12%2B-%2B2

Plans for this week: Get the roof slats on and paint the frame. Hopefully this week: fit the OSB on the sides and fit the door.

Thanks for looking!

Wow, using lap joints very nice. I don't have the patience for that. It will add some strength to it though.

Thanks for the kind words! We are so excited to FINALLY be making a real coop.

1hawaiian
frow.gif
Thanks!

Bipolar_hippo: We went the fast route with the "temp" coop. Really though, its an excuse to try out a new technique for us and use the new impact driver
ya.gif

We didn't have to work on it tonight, but I'm hoping to get the roof slats on and paint coat #1 tomorrow. I'll be too busy from Wed to Saturday to do anything.
tongue.gif

Finally got some more work on the coop done today.
wee.gif

Painted the two end walls and the frame in "Barn Red" paint for outdoor uses. LOVE it so far. We are taking our time painting, this is the second coast in 4 days.

The Coop is on its side, had to paint the bottom of the frame today!

And, another coop shot from another angle.

Hopefully, we'll attach the walls tomorrow and start framing the hen house/nest boxes/roost area. Something spooked the ladies today and they couldn't get into their crummy temp coop (too scared to remember how) so I know they will love this one with a ramp and door!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom