Finished product/insulation

noidhndlr

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,
Im trying to decide if it would be beneficial to finish my entire coop by adding insulation and then plywood on the inside. Right now it only has siding. I have both temp extremes.

Thanks
Holly

We have and I have a page on the link below that shows in pic form how we did it. I think you'll be happier doing this work up-front so you'll have a cooler coop in summer and FAR warmer in winter. If you do need a heat source you won;t spend so much $$$ on it. We intend to brood our chicks in this insulated coop, too.
cool.png

I would think given your climate it would be very helpful in the summer to keep your coop from getting too hot.
From your other post I think your low temps are in the 20s? and High 115?
I don't think you will have big problems with cold weather but it seems like Insulation would help you both winter and summer.
I say go for it if you can.
CS

I'm thinking ahead, I haven't got the floor down yet let alone the finishing, but I was going to use expanding foam, the only reason is it's harder for rodents to make there mest in it, not impossible but as I'm almost cocooning my coop in wire mesh lots of predators (even from my own house) I think the expanding foam will be less appealing than f/glass insulation. I think if you have the weather that warrants insulation you may as well spend the money and save later in heating costs.

Insulating your coop will give you more versatility, and protect the birds from weather extremes. Interior walls will eliminate all those spaces between the studs for grime to gather. I thought about using plastic paneling. It's thin, slick, washable...and twice as expensive as plywood. So for me, plywood it is.

As for solid insulation...
Quote:
I've got some in a part of my barn, and it doesn't seem to discourage the mice. In fact, I think they like to play in it.

Thanks,
I think the insulation is the way to go. I had alot of surplus wood from building a horse area so I haven't had to spend much money on the hen house. I have several 4x8 sheets of plywood still laying around waiting for a project. Just a few more 2x4's, some insulation and the house will be ready for the hens!

Holly

Back
Top Bottom