Fir shavings?

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
I’d planned to do deep litter in the run and usually buy pine shavings, but chatted with someone at TSC who recommended white wood shavings that I thought were pine, but are a fir mix it turns out. Gem Premier white shavings. I just laid two bags down and the scent is pretty strong. Anyone use these before, and specifically as a deep litter base? Or know if there’s an issue? I just shoveled out all the sand because I’m worried about causing respiratory problems and now feel like I made it worse. 🤦‍♀️

I use 'softwood' shavings for horses and chookies here which are infact a mix of pine and fir, the smell goes away pretty fast. Have never had any issues using any softwood shavings. I would be very concerned if you had hardwood shavings - some contain toxins that could be very harmful.

I use 'softwood' shavings for horses and chookies here which are infact a mix of pine and fir, the smell goes away pretty fast. Have never had any issues using any softwood shavings. I would be very concerned if you had hardwood shavings - some contain toxins that could be very harmful.
Whew, thank you! The bag says virtually no phenols which seems to be the big concern with cedar (and somewhat of a concern with pine). So hopefully all good then!

Back
Top Bottom