Fire Ant Concern?

PineHavenMama

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Hello, all. I am waiting for my hatching eggs to arrive hopefully next week and have been taking this time to learn some new things through this site. It has been many years since we’ve had chickens and during that time, fire ants have moved onto our property. In the past, I have allowed our chickens out to free range some during the day. The problem is that these fire ants pop up from place to place and I’m worried about what that might mean for our new chickens. I’ve read a few accounts (not here) of chickens eating them, but also have seen mention that the chickens can have reactions to the fire ants. Just wondering if any of you have an ant problem and what your thoughts are. Thanks so much.

We have fire ants, the only problem I ever had between them and the chickens was when a fire ant nest had started in the corner of a nest box with a broody hen in it and the ants got into the eggs. I watch for this now. The chickens don't eat the fire ants. I wish they would. If you use poison on ants be careful because many ant granules are corn based.

There is nothing good aout fire ants. I'm surprised I'm not seeing the usual cute suggestions like pour hot water on them. You need to kill the queen and the only way is with a poison that the other ants will deliver to her, such as Amdro. The other methods might annoy the ants enough that they will move, but you might like their new location even less.

You put it around, not on, the mound. It's not terribly toxic to chickens but if your birds will be grazing there, I'd put up a temporary ring of chicken wire. Feed the ants every few days when it's dry until you're sure they're gone.

Back
Top Bottom