Fire ants!

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
Not in the coop or the run, but outside the run in an area that my girls frequent when free ranging. I treated with amdro ant block on Monday. I have keep the chickens in their run since I treated.
The ants are gone. Should I just shovel the residual bait to an area they don't go in? Hose it off? Or can I never let my my chickens their again?
There is no grass in that area, just sand along a sidewalk.

Not in the coop or the run, but outside the run in an area that my girls frequent when free ranging. I treated with amdro ant block on Monday. I have keep the chickens in their run since I treated.
The ants are gone. Should I just shovel the residual bait to an area they don't go in? Hose it off? Or can I never let my my chickens their again?
There is no grass in that area, just sand along a sidewalk.
i would shovel it fist then hose it off and it should be fine

i would shovel it fist then hose it off and it should be fine
Thanks! I couldn't find anything about chickens in the area. Just not to use in grazing areas and to keep pets and people out for 24 hours. It rained a bit last night and it is in a spot with full sunlight so I imagine it has degraded some, but I can't find any info on that 🤦

I'm not familiar with that particular product so I can only say water it in thoroughly. In the future when the ants come back--they will--pour a big pot of boiling water on the mound. Unless the mound is in a bad spot for humans, I don't even do that. I've read the stories of fire ants killing chickens, but have seen no evidence that it could happen. Chicks maybe. I've watched mine walk right over a mound.

I'm not familiar with that particular product so I can only say water it in thoroughly. In the future when the ants come back--they will--pour a big pot of boiling water on the mound. Unless the mound is in a bad spot for humans, I don't even do that. I've read the stories of fire ants killing chickens, but have seen no evidence that it could happen. Chicks maybe. I've watched mine walk right over a mound.
Boiling water wouldn't have worked. This wasn't a typical mound. There were small holes all along my side walk, but the mound itself was under the cement.
I picked up all the visible granules and covered the areas where I wasn't sure I got it all up.

Back
Top Bottom