Fire Ants!

JasperCountyNative

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Mississippi
Anyone know any product out there that actually kills a fire ant mound?

The stuff we bought from WalMart just makes them relocate a few feet away.

he.gif

Yes I do.. Just found it last year at my local Co-op store. It is called Fire Ant Killer made by Surrender. It comes in a green labeled tin can. It is a very fine powder that you just sprinkle on the mound.. And POOF, they are gone. Amdro doesn't work anymore, but I promise you, this stuff does. Within a half hour they are piling out of the mound and dying before they even make it off of the mound.

Last edited:
Easiest & most benign way to kill the mound is to pour a big kettle-full of boiling water over it. You can first stir it up with a stick, and /or poke a big deep hole in it with a shovel. Pour from a few feet up or more to get good penetration. WATCH YOUR FEET!!! Don't let the water or the ants splash on your legs.

On hot summer days when I turn on a hose with a trigger attachment there is always a hose-full of very hot water that needs to run out before the cool water reaches the end. I try to find a handy fire-ant mound to spray with that hot water.

Does the boiling water always kill the queen? Probably not, but it does eliminate the mound without dumping a lot of chemicals in your yard.

Talstar PL applied to all grass areas and cracks in sidewalk/driveways. One 25lb bag does an acre, for up to 3 months. You apply it with a handheld broadcast spreader.

...JP

After moving from north Louisiana to Tennessee, one of the things I DIDN'T miss was fire ants. I used to use Orthene by Ortho. It killed the queen and the mound. Just sprinkle on the top of the mound. About once a week I would patrol the yard and treat any new mounds that started before they got huge. Unfortunately, there is no way to keep other fire ants from coming into your yard to start new mounds, so regular checks are a must.

Quote:
I have had to put up with fire ants, because the granular poison will kill free ranging chickens, in short order.....I hear that they are, now, making a liquid poison...

On a side note, I lost about 60 plants worth of potatos, because the fire ants burrowed into the potatos, and I couldn't kill them, for the above reason.

Back
Top Bottom