fire ants

blackout1983

Hatching
6 Years
May 28, 2013
I've noticed that my chicken run is starting to get a lot of fire ant hills, I've been biten on my hands and feet finding out that they're there. I'm also starting to find them inside the coop. Has any one had the same problem and a safe way to get rid of them?

Just for anecdotal support, I threw a handful of diatomaceous earth on a fire ant mound last year. The next day it was a dead mound. I don't know if the queen died, taking the mound with her, or if they simply moved.

Fire ants are so pervasive that I leave them alone, if they build in a place that is not a problem. Garden path not OK, middle of flower bed OK.

Chris

Fire ants are so pervasive that I leave them alone, if they build in a place that is not a problem. Garden path not OK, middle of flower bed OK.

Chris

I know what you mean! Any ant hill away from the coop and "our" part of the yard is fine. But once the ants invade the chicken coop or the frequently walked through areas of my yard, it's WAR!!! Those accursed things are sickening, but I don't care if they build in some areas of the yard.
I've tried "Over 'n Out" granules during rainy weather, and Bayer Home Defense spray. They work ok. Just a few nights ago, hundreds of ants populated a part of our chicken run overnight. Seriously, it was like one minute I was locking up the coop at sunset, and then the next morning HUNDREDS of ants were near the coop door plus hundreds of eggs. It was like something out of a horror movie. I was running so that I could decimate the ants plus take care of the chickens before heading off to work. I worried about my chickens all day, but the Bayer Home Defense spray worked and there were less ants that night, and none the next morning. They were however trying to reestablish a mound a few feet away. The granules were applied and the ants have retreated..........for now.........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom