Fire roasted lamb??

I have Katahdins and they are doing really good. I agree they are on the light side. I think after I get enough breeding stock on the ground I might purchase a couple dorper rams to cross. Anyone try that cross? I really want to keep the hair thing going as I hate sheering sheep.

Quote:
That is quite light. Don't you want leftovers?
smile.png
I'd go for a 100 lbs. Seriously, this is going to be good meat, especially for the effort you will be putting into it. Don't want anyone going hungry.

( Barbados, Katahdin and white face wool breds are just too light and not finished at that age/weight)

Mine just weighed in at 107 lbs., 5 mo, all grass-fed, Dorset and Dorset/Dorper/Katahdin crosses. I wouldn't give you 2 nickles for a Barbados.

BossRoo - what sort of marinade do you use?​

The Dorper was orinated in South Africa using a Dorset ram on a Persian fat tailed ewe... so a great combination. I use a salt brine with lots of crushed garlic, pepper, a couple handfulls of fresh Rosemary, thyme, some chiles.

Quote:
Good move Jeff. There is a Katahdin breeder near here , and they have to grain + alfalfa feed their lambs after weaning to get them to weight. One day they visited my nieghbor who has some dorpers and were surprised by the size, weight and finish on the Dorper, Dorper X lambs. So they decided to breed 10 of their ewes to a Dorper ram. Results were... lambs finished on grass that averaged about 20 pounds more than the straight Katahdins. The new lambs also shed their wool better.

Quote:
Yes, I have ! Goat doesn't have anywhere near the fat cover, and has a smaller carcass at the same age so the meat has to be watched much more carefully while BarBQing a whole carcass or it tends to dry out. As for careing for the lambs vs. goats. ( I have raised thausands of lambs and a few dozen goats). Sheep are much more easier to care for.

That's good news.... I'm going to start looking for a good breeder than. It's odd that most good meat animals are almost always a cross. So how is a lamb finished on pasture compared to one finished on hay, grain, and pasture?

Quote:
I have had goat brain before... never the meat. The brain taste like a fried egg/marsh mellow. As far as caring for.... I hated keeping my goats in a fence.... they are crafty little devils and find a way to get out. The lambs I have now are trained on one hot wire about chest level.

I guess it all depends on who raises them you know...

I've had lamb chops before and it was good! My grandma was right!

However I saw ground lamb meat at Krogers and wanted to make something similar to gyros kebab style. Can this be done?

I love lamb!

I really need to find some property and buy some.

I couldn't remember what the dressed weigh conversion was so happy to see this on here.

There's an auction 2 1/2 blocks from my house and they've had a lot of sheep there lately. I used to know breeds, but have no idea what I'm looking at now.

When I was a little girl I remember visit my uncle where he lived with a family that had sheep. LOTS of them. Thing I'm never forget is that sheep weren't the sweet little things I knew from nursery rhymes. Mean litle things. LOL I had to be snatched out of a pen I walked into. OH and the older kids telling me to go in with a hog went over good. I was devistated. Now I just want to eat them.

I might end up with a goat, if my extended family will eat it. The people in my household love it.. Plus the only lambs I've found so far are about $200! There is a nice 7 month old boer goat buck for $35 though.. So we'll have to see what happens there.

Back
Top Bottom