Firearms in States/Provinces/Countries where they are outlawed....

I'm a multi gun owner and don't have a problem filling out the paperwork or getting a handgun permit from the sheriff. I've never had any problems getting what I wanted. If the paperwork/permit system keeps just one out of the wrong hands then it's doing it's job.

Steve

Quote:
Problem is it does NOT keep one out of the wrong hands. What it does do is make a wait for those in need who do not have multi guns, like domestic violence victims who have on many occasions been run down with a car, beat or stabbed to death, or shot while waiting for permits.

Quote:
Steve I don't mean to dispute you BUT convicted felons do not buy guns legally even if they could, they do not want a paper trail and are not willing to spend the money. You do remember the convicted felon that killed two university students a couple years ago in a gun free zone with a gun do you not? While out on bond, wouldn't make more sense to make bonds higher or not applicable for violent repeat criminals?

Quote:
What you think criminals show an ID before they buy a gun? Well at least there would be a paper trail and maybe they wouldn't be stealing them. And it used to be that way about 50 or 60 years ago and crime was WAY LOWER than what it is today.

Punish people for committing crimes not owning objects that could be used in a crime. It's gonna get real hard to cut a steak when they get around to outlawing our knives too. Wonder what nanny laws will do with a sport of baseball when bats are outlawed. And some people wonder why there are so many stupid chicken laws.

Sure you have some paperwork to fill out and fee's to pay to own a gun, but you also own that gun legally and law enforcement knows you own it legally. That means if someone owns a gun illegally then law enforcement will know about it when said person is caught with the gun.

Is it really that awful to require that people know how to use, store and maintain their gun before allowing them to purchase one? I would imagine there would be a good drop in the number of accidental shooting deaths if more people knew how to use their gun instead of just buying one because they 'need' it.

A waiting period, even if it is just a few days is actually a good thing. Impulsive gun buyers aren't likely to be someone going on a hunting trip or out to do sport shooting. Impulsive buyers are likely to be suicidal or homicidal individuals and a waiting period gives them time to cool off and reconsider their options. No it doesn't stop every single instance of gun related homicide/suicide but it does help decrease it.
Domestic violence victims can always request police protection while they wait for their permit. There are also other ways to defend yourself that don't involve firearms. You can learn hand to hand self defense fairly quickly, carry mace, a knife of your own, or be more aware of your surroundings and keep tabs on the person pursuing you. If they know where you are, then you can find out where they are. They can also buy airsoft guns or mock guns that look real. Most people when faced with a gun will stop and retreat without the need to fire the weapon.

Age limitations make sense too, because anyone under the age of 13 doesn't need to be owning a gun. Kids are spontaneous and do stupid things without thinking. If every 7 year old is carrying a gun to school, how many trivial arguments are going to turn into shoot outs instead of fist fights? how many disgruntled kids would openly shoot their teacher for giving them a poor grade? Just because your kiddo is responsible and knows how to behave doesn't mean every kid is.

I personally don't want people with a long history of mental instabilities owning a gun because they are likely to do harm to themselves and others. Severe manic depressive people can present a major danger to themselves and others whenever they experience a high or low in their mood. Severely depressed people pose a threat to themselves when they start going back into or come out of their depression, because they get suicidal. Schizophrenics, people afflicted with Dissociative Identity Disorder, and people with psychosis should not be handling guns, because they can and will harm themselves and others, and may not even realize what they have done.

It isn't as hard as you think to own a gun. If you haven't committed any felonies, haven't been committed to a state hospital against your will, you have a valid ID and maybe even taken a safety class, you can get a permit and buy a gun. In some places a permit is only needed for a handgun, and just about anyone with a clean history can buy a rifle or shotgun.

Some criminals will always get guns no matter what laws are in place. Criminals aren't always stupid, they know the system and how to get around it. Criminals don't always use guns either. Anything can be a weapon, guns just pose the greatest threat. You can shoot someone from a distance no problem, you can't stab someone from a distance without really good aim and a lot of practice.

Domestic violence victims can always request police protection while they wait for their permit.

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
OOh dear.. and be deader than a doornail when it arrives in the mail....
Good god..
th.gif

All i know is..my brother was a victim of a drive by shooting... and he almost died.
Thank god he survived... he still has a bullet in him today though..
The creeps never got caught.. and i am sure betting the gun they owned wasnt a "legal" gun...
roll.png

Quote:
I think I would have to agree, its not hard to buy a gun (at least long guns) legally. Hand guns give you some extra hoops to jump through, like having to be a member at a shooting range, and having to have an ATT to take the gun out of your house.

Personally, I think some control is needed, I don't want any and every yahoo walking around with a gun. I don't have a problem with having to apply for a license to buy guns. I remember on the farm growing up the .22 was just in my dads barn office, in sight and ammo on a shelf, I'm glad we have laws so that guns don't just sit in the corner where they are easily in reach to be stolen.

But I don't like it that there is a government record of what guns every gun owner has, I really think gun control should be an office outside of government. I think gun owners are better equipt to set policies that police gun owners.

Quote:
I think I would have to agree, its not hard to buy a gun (at least long guns) legally. Hand guns give you some extra hoops to jump through, like having to be a member at a shooting range, and having to have an ATT to take the gun out of your house.

Personally, I think some control is needed, I don't want any and every yahoo walking around with a gun. I don't have a problem with having to apply for a license to buy guns. I remember on the farm growing up the .22 was just in my dads barn office, in sight and ammo on a shelf, I'm glad we have laws so that guns don't just sit in the corner where they are easily in reach to be stolen.

But I don't like it that there is a government record of what guns every gun owner has, I really think gun control should be an office outside of government. I think gun owners are better equipt to set policies that police gun owners.

Might we replace the word "gun" for "chicken" as silly as that sounds we are in the midst of a government that is about to require you to jump through the same hoops to own chickens. With laws that will allow the government to seize your chickens or your food supply without just cause or even giving a reason. I know there probably are about 6 million victims that if they had survived that would beg to differ with extra hoops or big brother knowing just what and how many you have.

Back
Top Bottom