I'm not sure if this would be better here or in the "predators and pests" section, but since fireflies are hardly predators and rarely considered pests I figured I'd try here. Has anyone ever had any issues with chickens getting sick from eating fireflies? I honestly never would have thought about it, but we had a bearded dragon come into work today (I work at a vet that sees exotics as well as cats and dogs) whose owners had fed him a firefly last week. When we called the animal poison control hotline to ask about it, their response was, "It's still alive?" (the answer BTW is yes, but probably not for long) Apparently fireflies are extremely toxic. Which makes sense, after all something as slow-moving and visible as a firefly would just about have to be toxic in order to not be wiped out by predators. But I'd just never thought about it before, and now I'm a just little bit concerned since our coop is in the part of our yard that is most attractive to fireflies.