First aid kit

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).

Heres another one I have written in the past.

1.) Corid, liquid corid or powder (coccidiosis)
2.) Pain killer FREE neosporin (wound care, beat to not have pain killer)
3.) Rooster Booster (I think this is like an immune booster, its my latest addition)
4.) Dewormer, I use Valbezen (To deworm my chickens)
5.) Syringe (To give meds orally)
6.) Chicken scissors (For poopy butts and wounds, to cut away the feathers near a wound)
7.) Dog crate (For sick birds 😩)
8.) Veterycin (Wound care, its spray on)
9.) Hydrogen peroxide (Sometimes for wound care, use in moderation)
10.) Painters tape (For curled toes in chicks and quail)
11.) Tweezer (For flystrike/maggots)
12.) Flashlight (To candle eggs, check up wounds, checkup eyes, etc.)
13.) Heat Lamp (For chicks and wet hens after a bath)
14.) Weight measure (For deworming dosages)
15.) Honey (For small wounds and as an electrolyte, with some garlic, in moderation)
16.) Coconut oil (Impacted crop, cooking for birds, and for incubating eggs)
17.) Permethrin dust (mites/lice)
18.) Extra masks (Smelly chickens 🤣, may be from sour crop, and can be used for a home necropsy)
19.) Monistat 7 (Sour crop med)
20.) Vaseline (For the treatment of scaly leg mites and sometimes for poop that are stuck on feathers)
21.) Calcium citrate (egg binding, tums work as well)
22.) Chicken blow dryer (When washing birds)
23.) Chicken towel (When washing birds)
24.) Dog pads (For sick birds in a dog crate)
25.) Gloves (For dealing with vaseline, wounds, necropsy, etc.)
26.) Cotton swabs (Cleaning and applying meds on wounds)
27.) Incubator batteries (For incubation)
28.) Dish soap (For drowning maggots on a wound)

Handling should be fine as long as it isn't too long your body temp keeps them warm also. They spend a lot of time out from under heat plates. I would be more worried about stress or rough handling first few days. Interaction with hand in brooder to get them used to you maybe hand feeding them some wet mash from hand to help get them trusting you and not stressing when you handle them.

There are no silly questions lol! I think handling them is good if they will be pets. If a chick is with their hen mom they won’t have heat on them all them time and they’ll go to mom when they need warmth. I think holding them is a-ok, and you probably won’t be able to resist picking them up, they’re so cute! As @Huntmaster mentioned, if you’re brooding them outside you will want to be careful in that regard. I prefer the heating plate to a heat lamp/bulb. How many chicks will you receive?
Shoot, I'll have a hard time not crawling inside the brooder with them. ;)
3 chicks.

hand feeding them some wet mash
Just in case you are not familiar with what I meant by mash. It is made by mixing a little of their chick starter with water to make an oatmeal like consistency. It is a great treat for them they seem to think its candy. But it's just their normal feed with all the good stuff they need. This is a good treat for all age chickens just using their feed without unbalancing their diet.

Just in case you are not familiar with what I meant by mash. It is made by mixing a little of their chick starter with water to make an oatmeal like consistency. It is a great treat for them they seem to think its candy. But it's just their normal feed with all the good stuff they need. This is a good treat for all age chickens just using their feed without unbalancing their diet.
Thats easy enough.

Something to keep in mind with any first aid kit - not all medications, treatments, etc. have a long shelf life. So I don't stock up on things with expiration dates unless I currently plan on using it.

At the start, the main things I'd probably get would be Corid, as coccidiosis can take down chicks very fast and it's fairly common, and Poultry Nutri-Drench, which is a good pick-me-up for chickens of all ages and can help with getting them over the stress of being in a new home.

Something to keep in mind with any first aid kit - not all medications, treatments, etc. have a long shelf life. So I don't stock up on things with expiration dates unless I currently plan on using it.

At the start, the main things I'd probably get would be Corid, as coccidiosis can take down chicks very fast and it's fairly common, and Poultry Nutri-Drench, which is a good pick-me-up for chickens of all ages and can help with getting them over the stress of being in a new home.
Does the medicated chick starter protect against coccidiosis?

This is my "first aid kit", I have accumulated these things over the past 19 months I have been keeping chicken, some through necessity some as precautionary measures 😁

Attachments

• 20220213_090750.jpg
    20220213_090750.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220213_090801.jpg
    20220213_090801.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220213_090810.jpg
    20220213_090810.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220213_090818.jpg
    20220213_090818.jpg