First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I have one tom that was raised with chickens (the only egg out of three that hatched). He doesn't get on the roosts. He hasn't ever tried to fly. He coops up with the chickens. He's gentle with everyone.

I have a question about free ranging and coops. Are turkeys like chickens and will free range and then return to their coop, or at least the top of the coop ( from what I have read)? Or will they stay somewhere else if they like it better ?

Thanks,
Mike

I have a question about free ranging and coops. Are turkeys like chickens and will free range and then return to their coop, or at least the top of the coop ( from what I have read)? Or will they stay somewhere else if they like it better ?

Thanks,
Mike

I've raised mine with the chicks they don't roost with the chickens they like higher up and when I separate them they have been good about going to their house so I can let mine out to free range and when I see them hanging out by their house I open it and they walk right in I think it depends on the turkey and how much they think you are the boss mine come for treats so I can put them up whenever I want to they are always helping me do what ever I'm doing outside

I've raised mine with the chicks they don't roost with the chickens they like higher up and when I separate them they have been good about going to their house so I can let mine out to free range and when I see them hanging out by their house I open it and they walk right in I think it depends on the turkey and how much they think you are the boss mine come for treats so I can put them up whenever I want to they are always helping me do what ever I'm doing outside

Thought you were coming this way. What happened?

I have read that it can be hard to train them to go back to their pens. I haven't had that problem. When I first moved them outside last year, I kept them penned up with their chicken brood mates for a couple weeks so that they would become very familliar with "home" and they would see what my routine is. I would let the older chickens out to free range for a while, then would call them back to their pen with the treat bucket. Then I would go to the other pen and give the youngsters their treats. They learned to associate the sound of me shaking the treat bucket with "yummies" so by the time I let them out to free range with the rest of the flock, I didn't have too many hassles with getting them back in to their pen. Once the two flocks seemed to be getting along, I just removed the divider between the two pens and they were one big flock. The only problem I have with getting them back in is on occasion, one of the birds can't find the door to get in so they run around the outside of the fence. Silly birds
wink.png

One quick note Renee. Since the other thread is so hectic, I figured I would post an update on my waxed egg for the Easter hatch. I candled this morning and it is still developing!
wee.gif
OK back to turkeys now. I did very good yesterday. I had to go to a feed store in SLC to get flax seed (or flacks seed if you ask DH
gig.gif
) and they had BBB poults there. I looked at the cuties,
droolin.gif
a bit and backed away from the brooder. I walked out of the store with only my three bags of seed!

Last edited:
One quick note Renee. Since the other thread is so hectic, I figured I would post an update on my waxed egg for the Easter hatch. I candled this morning and it is still developing!
wee.gif
OK back to turkeys now. I did very good yesterday. I had to go to a feed store in SLC to get flax seed (or flacks seed if you ask DH
gig.gif
droolin.gif
a bit and backed away from the brooder. I walked out of the store with only my three bags of seed!

Because you know you will be setting eggs next weekend and don't need to buy those BBBs!!
thumbsup.gif

wee.gif
gig.gif
droolin.gif

Good job!! I've just quit going in the feed store...

Because you know you will be setting eggs next weekend and don't need to buy those BBBs!!
thumbsup.gif

EGGSACTLY!
wink.png

Good job!! I've just quit going in the feed store...

I would if I could. I can't store enough feed for the horses to make it all the way through "chick days" at the feed stores though! Been really good, look at the chicks, smile at them and walk away. I know someone else will buy them. I do have to bite my tounge and not say anything about the "Ameraucana" and "Araucana" chicks though. I know they are all just EE's.
wink.png

I really need a separate coop for the turkeys. My first batch lived in the horse barn and roosted way up in the rafters until summer. Then Lancelot started roosting in the door way when Guinnevier hid a nest outside and roosted outside ever after.

Last years group preferred to stay near the chicken coop and roosted outside until winter. Now they are still roosting in the coop, but they really are too big
hmm.png
They clear everyone off the roost when they jump up and down from the rafters and it's not something you want to be involved in. I promise you there are worse things to get caught in your hair than a June bug.

Be sure and let me know when you've seen enough of my turks - I have loads of turkey pictures
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom