First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Quote:
A lung scraper sounds helpful. I did 6 geese by hand in Feb 2011 -- I was out in the winter cold until 10 pm, long after my family had pitched in for a while then went to bed. I will NEVER process waterfowl again; and I WILL have the right tools to make it easier. I have seen a screwdriver based plucker too. Let us know how well it works, cause I'm not plucking by hand any more.

Oh and I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that I may or may not be getting some black spanish poults.
Oh goodie!!!
celebrate.gif

A lung scraper sounds helpful. I did 6 geese by hand in Feb 2011 -- I was out in the winter cold until 10 pm, long after my family had pitched in for a while then went to bed. I will NEVER process waterfowl again; and I WILL have the right tools to make it easier. I have seen a screwdriver based plucker too. Let us know how well it works, cause I'm not plucking by hand any more.

Oh goodie!!!
celebrate.gif

The ducks are ready to go - they've been ready to go for a month. I just have to convince BF that it's time. Tomorrow we're going to go to the gun range after work so maybe that'll get him in the mood for quackicide. My chickens are not ready yet by a long shot.

I have been staring at the Porter's website all day
hide.gif

Deb

I thought I was being good by not seeking things out, and someone went and posted on the Maine thread that they had them.

Are you going to be able to get them around the time the others hatch or are you getting them now?

No idea. I'm not going to drive for them, they're about 90 minutes south of here, but someone who is also getting some is driving by here this weekend and can get me day old poults for almost delivery or I can get them later on younger or older. It's still in the initial stages of non-planning. I'm still trying to figure out how I can pass them off as coming out with the bourbon reds. Considering BF can't tell the difference between Carmen and FatOne, the two easter eggers that don't really look a lot alike, and mistook a rooster for Hoppy yesterday (at least they are the same breed)... I might be in luck.

No idea. I'm not going to drive for them, they're about 90 minutes south of here, but someone who is also getting some is driving by here this weekend and can get me day old poults for almost delivery or I can get them later on younger or older. It's still in the initial stages of non-planning. I'm still trying to figure out how I can pass them off as coming out with the bourbon reds. Considering BF can't tell the difference between Carmen and FatOne, the two easter eggers that don't really look a lot alike, and mistook a rooster for Hoppy yesterday (at least they are the same breed)... I might be in luck.

Well at least he doesn't know what color BR's are supposed to be, or can he figure out red is not black?
lau.gif
You could possibly pass them off as BR.
tongue2.gif
One thing is that they should be ready to butcher earlier if you wanted to try some before the holidays. They get bigger than the BR's.

Back
Top Bottom