First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Well at least he doesn't know what color BR's are supposed to be, or can he figure out red is not black?
lau.gif
You could possibly pass them off as BR.
tongue2.gif
One thing is that they should be ready to butcher earlier if you wanted to try some before the holidays. They get bigger than the BR's.

I can always blame Lurkey for being an awful hussy.

Quote:
I've never asked, but I doubt it. Fair season is coming, I'm sure I'll run into her.

One year she gave my son both Grand and Reserve Grand Champion meat pens. Those birds were huge, meaty and identical! I showed eggs under her one year and won! I like her judging, LOL.

Deb

Question, Do those that do their own butchering, do it because there isn't anywhere close to them that does it at a reasonable price or because they want to do their own? I have a place 15-20 minutes away that does a chicken for 1.75 (1.50 for cornish X) and it is state inspected. At the 30 minute a bird SCG, stated there is no way I'm better off doing it myself. I'm talking chicken processing price.

Question, Do those that do their own butchering, do it because there isn't anywhere close to them that does it at a reasonable price or because they want to do their own? I have a place 15-20 minutes away that does a chicken for 1.75 (1.50 for cornish X) and it is state inspected. At the 30 minute a bird SCG, stated there is no way I'm better off doing it myself. I'm talking chicken processing price.

I'm with you- I am taking 15 down to a place AN HOUR away to have them processed for $2.35 each. They are a wonderful Mennonite extended family and they are very kind to the birds, and the facility is a SPOTLESS stainless steel setup, with a dissembly team and precision choreography. A bunch of dresses, bonnets, beards and all working hard and ethically. I'm delighted to have them here. I know they respect each bird and will treat each one well, and that means a ton to me. I couldn't do the task unless I HAD to to feed my starving family.

I can have them done with a wait of less than 10 minutes per bird. Sooooo worth it. I'm a wuss.

So: going to candle right now, after changing the batteries in my torch. Somehow the speckles on the eggs mess with me and I don't feel confident about what I've seen.

Looks like I have less than 50% fertile/survived shipping.

I may just look for eggs locally, as I want more turkeys than that!!

:(

Last edited:
here is my yoga submission.
i tried to get him to straighten out his back but he wouldn't listen.

lau.gif

I might be sick but I like that we do it. I like to feel close to my food when I can and know there was a minimal of panic on the roosters part. I've heard complaints about the local place where wings have been broken prior to death due to struggling. I don't want my birds to endure that. Also no matter how clean it is, I think we can do it cleaner. The local place also only does birds on certain days, and you have to wait in line, there's no call ahead. So you could be sitting there a while with your birds. I might try it one of these days, but I really feel like butchering yourself makes you appreciate the bird and the food more.

Back
Top Bottom