First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I put my turkey tutors in lockdown tonight. I like to have the chickens arrive before the first poult arrives.
fl.gif

I rearranged the incubators today. Because I have about 5 dozen eggs to put in this weekend, I decided to use the homemade as the incubator as it is deeper and I can stack 4 deep easily.

Only I didn't count on both the LG and Henny Penny going beserk after the change. I can only stay up most of the night until I"m sure they will behave. One more month of hatching, then I'm slowing down . . . . well maybe not . . ..
big_smile.png

ep.gif
You stack 4 deep EASILY??? When does it get difficult?
tongue2.gif
Do the bottom ones get as warm as the top ones? How do you turn? Pics please! (I like my bright yellow padded walls.)

5840-Insane-Man-In-A-Strait-Jacket-And-Padded-Room-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

SCG good morning and good luck on the silkie chick! I think if I were to get silkies, the paint color is the only one I would consider. I think they really look neat. Yeah I know the best way to get rid of a GS-12 is to hope they screw up enough to get promoted or they retire. I was hoping for other options though.
wink.png
Ah well, I guess we will just have a year and a half of a hostile work environment. Yippee.

SCG good morning and good luck on the silkie chick! I think if I were to get silkies, the paint color is the only one I would consider. I think they really look neat. Yeah I know the best way to get rid of a GS-12 is to hope they screw up enough to get promoted or they retire. I was hoping for other options though.
wink.png
Ah well, I guess we will just have a year and a half of a hostile work environment. Yippee.

I'm not a big fan of silkies, but I do have a showgirl that I adore. She's so small that she can't get on the roost and waits for me outside to pick her up, carry her into the coop and put her on her roost. She has her own section of roost, too, with a vertical bar separating her part from the other big (and sometimes mean) girls. I have to put another bird on there with her though, cause she loves to snuggle. For some reason the other showgirl I have doesn't like this one and can figure out how to get on the big girl roost and holds (I think his) own. So I'm hoping the paint silkie is a girl and will love PigPen. She needs a friend, like all good bantams.

I'm not going to get any other turkey poults, the girl who hatched the ones I was thinking about getting stated yesterday that they had all died, then a few hours later said they weren't dead but she was going to hold onto them for a few days to make sure they were okay then start selling them this weekend. That struck me as very odd, and I have enough birds and chores as it is.

Sorry you're having a hostile work environment... too bad you don't have a union to protect you from those evil GS12s.
wink.png

Quote:
ep.gif
tongue2.gif
Do the bottom ones get as warm as the top ones? How do you turn? Pics please! (I like my bright yellow padded walls.)

THis is all wishful thinking and the chamber is deep enough to handle 4 eggs deep. Just not sure I can. :/ Working on it because I must. THe eggs are coming, the eggs are coming . . . .

I'm not a big fan of silkies, but I do have a showgirl that I adore. She's so small that she can't get on the roost and waits for me outside to pick her up, carry her into the coop and put her on her roost. She has her own section of roost, too, with a vertical bar separating her part from the other big (and sometimes mean) girls. I have to put another bird on there with her though, cause she loves to snuggle. For some reason the other showgirl I have doesn't like this one and can figure out how to get on the big girl roost and holds (I think his) own. So I'm hoping the paint silkie is a girl and will love PigPen. She needs a friend, like all good bantams.

I'm not going to get any other turkey poults, the girl who hatched the ones I was thinking about getting stated yesterday that they had all died, then a few hours later said they weren't dead but she was going to hold onto them for a few days to make sure they were okay then start selling them this weekend. That struck me as very odd, and I have enough birds and chores as it is.

Sorry you're having a hostile work environment... too bad you don't have a union to protect you from those evil GS12s.
wink.png
Ah yes, bantams need buddies, I remember
wink.png

Yeah the turkey poult owner sounds a bit flakey. First their dead (?) then they are alive but she is going to hold on to them for a few days to make sure they are OK (they apparently were resurrected?) Hmmmmmm I would say that would not be a good selling point with me either. At the very least, I would be worried about biosecurity and what they may have.
Well it is only one GS causing the problems but he is evil IMO. Oh well, this too shall pass eventually.
On a good note, I finished up my math final this morning so that class is done. I should still be carrying my 4.0 average since I did really well on the final. I was a little worried that I might pull the average down a little since I have not been doing great on the quizzes. Not horrible, but not great. Not a big fan of algebra and I still have one more algebra (second half of this class) class that starts on Monday. After that, no more algebra! I have one more assignment to finish up on the geology course and that class is also done.
Keep the entries for the turkey picture caption contest folks! We only have three entries so far and the deadline is midnight tomorrow!

ep.gif
tongue2.gif

lol.. i stack eggs..

turning is easy.. I just pull out the ones on top and turn everything... since I'm hand turning these anyway it's just a matter of rearranging when I turn..

I've even stacked quail eggs in a Brinsea.. used the auto turner for those.. for quail the little guys manage to get out just fine even with eggs stacked on top.. for these eggs the turkey eggs will be pulled and dropped down a level where it's cooler for hatch.. which gives a little more room for the chicken eggs (first due dates get put on top for hatch.. once they are out I remove them and their shells so the eggs underneath can hatch)
all the eggs in here are good too.. one has a ? on it since my husband snuck it in there and didn't tell me which day he did it...

Quote: I'm still working on getting the temps regulated. RIght now, the temp is 100-101 with the current load of eggs. My heat source is below ( bulb), so I'm trying to increase the circulation as I'm concerned that when I add more eggs, the temps will drop again.

I have thought of building another one. BUilding is doable, but not free and regulating it is a weeks process sometimes. ANd DH will notice.
th.gif
So if I can make this homemade one functional, that's the end game. I wouldn't be in this fix if I had control . . . just had to have those eggs! THey are olive eggers, white leghorn and blue & blk cuckoo marans.

Back
Top Bottom