First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

Please go here to vote for your favorite entry in the Turkey Caption Contest!!!! Voting is open until Saturday night and the winner will be announced Sunday morning!!
Good luck contestants!

wee.gif
YEAH!

Last edited:
Quote: Hey SOME PEOPLE can't follow directions and PM me their pictures like the official contest rules say!!!!!!
tongue2.gif

It is now fixed but I had to restart the voting so please ANYONE WHO VOTED ALREADY, PLEASE GO BACK AND VOTE AGAIN!

Hey SOME PEOPLE can't follow directions and PM me their pictures like the official contest rules say!!!!!!
tongue2.gif

It is now fixed but I had to restart the voting so please ANYONE WHO VOTED ALREADY, PLEASE GO BACK AND VOTE AGAIN!

Hey, now, hold on there, I resemble that remark..........
old.gif
I thought I had.........my bad!

Last edited:
hit.gif
I candled my last turkey egg and it was a quitter. I originally had 7 and 6 were clear. I was really hopeful for this one. I was really good about leaving the incubator alone this whole time and only candled a couple of times. I checked the temperature every day and it was always between 99 and 101 (which is about as good as this incubator seems to get). Even all but 2 of my Turkey Tutors seem to have given up on me and those 2 are questionable. I just don't know what happened.

I think I am going to put the incubator up for a good long while before I attempt again. My DH keeps tallying up the costs of shipped eggs ect. and asking how much these chicks (or lack of) are costing. I think that is more discouraging than failed hatches.

I know exactly how you feel!
hugs.gif
I think I still had 5 out of 22 turkeys going, but only 4 of my turkey tutors last Wednesday and I'm really bad at candling. I haven't checked this week for fear more have given up. I am locking down either tonight or tomorrow, since I started a couple days late, so I'll candle then. I don't know if it's just the "shipped egg" syndrome. I feel like throwing in a bunch of my own flock eggs, just to see what % I get with NON-shipped eggs, but I really don't need any more mutt chicks. I am trying to get a few pure breeds started, but not succeeding very well.

But these hatch-alongs are fun and everyone shares their ideas and help to try to figure out the problems, so it isn't just about hatching, it's about learning and sharing with others who have the same interests. Once you figure out what's happening, then you can share it with someone else who is having problems! Also, I don't know what kind of incubator you're using, buy my LG is getting closer and closer to getting the boot!
smack.gif

Today I got a surprise!! Wisher sent me two books!! The one I won for the Poultry Yoga Contest and an extra one...a Tomato Cookbook. It will come in very handy!! Thank You Wisher!!

celebrate.gif

I have a very nice man that lives up the road. I got to know him and his lovely wife about a year ago on the day I knocked on their door with a basket of eggs to share. They loved the eggs so much that the man got some chickens! He bought 4 hens that were pitiful looking and covered in mites. I helped him a bit and before long they looked great and he was hooked. Next, he asked if he could have some of my hens. I didn't really want to get rid of any of mine, so I asked him how many more did he want. He said he wanted 6 more hens but no roosters. I bought 24 Ameraucana pullets and raised them to about 7 weeks old. I told he that 6 of them would be his if he wanted them. Today he came over and picked 6 and acted plumb giddy. I said he could have more if he wanted and he took two more, 8 total. Just a few minutes ago he called and asked if he could have 2 more. LOL I said, "Of course!" He is thrilled.

Quote: @ennislakefarm--try to find local eggs that have not been shipped. Try CL. Search for a local poultry show to find local contact for farm fresh eggs. I assure you my hatch rate on my fresh eggs far exceeds the hatch rate of shipped eggs.

@craz e laid e --hatching has become far more enjoyable when I get to spend it with like minded people!1 And on the LG, I get really good hatches. I keep up with the LG thread, the current one, and read all the old ones. THe temp is not easy to adjust, so once it is set, it needs to be left alone. I think this is why CHooks CHick uses mulitple LG. like 3 for incubating and 1 for hatching. By the way, if you post of the LG thread many people are willing to help, or post here and I will do my best.

Today I got a surprise!! Wisher sent me two books!! The one I won for the Poultry Yoga Contest and an extra one...a Tomato Cookbook. It will come in very handy!! Thank You Wisher!!

celebrate.gif

What is the title of the TOmoto COokbook--always need a new recipe for tomatos. YUM

I have a chick! A little Iowa Blue turkey tutor. They are always early.

I also got my prize from Wisher today!
wee.gif
It's a lovely basket full of goodies. I'll get a picture tomorrow. Thank you Wisher!

Back
Top Bottom