First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I did a little candling tonight. Here is my observations.

1. SHipped eggs lose moisture slower than non-shipped eggs.
THis observation includes the 24 shipped eggs which are not showing any air cells at this time(set apr 27). Or they fall into the grouping below.

2. Dead or non-developing eggs lose far less moisture than developing eggs.
THere is no apparent air cell in any of the eggs that look clear. ANd every developing egg had an air cell.

HELP! ANyone have similar observations . . . or not.

You made me go look, but of the three clear/early quitters I pulled tonight, they all had air cells. I hope I didn't pull the wring ones.

I did a little candling tonight. Here is my observations.

1. SHipped eggs lose moisture slower than non-shipped eggs.
THis observation includes the 24 shipped eggs which are not showing any air cells at this time(set apr 27). Or they fall into the grouping below.

2. Dead or non-developing eggs lose far less moisture than developing eggs.
THere is no apparent air cell in any of the eggs that look clear. ANd every developing egg had an air cell.

HELP! ANyone have similar observations . . . or not.

I have a very nice man that lives up the road. I got to know him and his lovely wife about a year ago on the day I knocked on their door with a basket of eggs to share. They loved the eggs so much that the man got some chickens! He bought 4 hens that were pitiful looking and covered in mites. I helped him a bit and before long they looked great and he was hooked. Next, he asked if he could have some of my hens. I didn't really want to get rid of any of mine, so I asked him how many more did he want. He said he wanted 6 more hens but no roosters. I bought 24 Ameraucana pullets and raised them to about 7 weeks old. I told he
that 6 of them would be his if he wanted them. Today he came over and picked 6 and acted plumb giddy. I said he could have more if he wanted and he took two more, 8 total. Just a few minutes ago he called and asked if he could have 2 more. LOL I said, "Of course!" He is thrilled.

Quote:
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

My pips are still just pips. At least that makes going to work today easier than an incubator full of fresh chicks.

I don't know what I'd do with a tomato cookbook. My tomatoes rarely make it in the house from the garden. They're either enjoyed by myself or a chicken. Hoppy is the best at sneaking into the garden and eating the back of a tomato so I don't notice it's eaten by a chicken until a few days later when it starts to look funny and wrinkled.

I can't wait to put my plants out, maybe this weekend. It's still going to be 40s at night, but I had to pinch off a tomato flower on a seedling last night, they're in dire need of transplanting I'd guess.

SCG I hope you come home to three poults today and three chicks.
big_smile.png

Temps and humidity are looking good in the styrobator. I decided to put all the eggs in there for hatching since there is more room for them than in the Brinsea. No pips here yet. I have a busy day today so at least I won't be glued to the bator looking at eggs that look like they have just been set.
wink.png

BTW Wisher you weren't the only one who forgot to PM me their entry, I did miss yours while I was going back through the thread to find them all.
wink.png

Someone asked about not running the fan in the LG/styrobators during lockdown. I know on Rene's dry incbation hatch sheet she suggests turning it off for lockdown. I have not tried this because I have no easy way to turn it off and I don't want to mess up the styrobator. Maybe she can chime in on why she recommends it.

OK just had to look at my "just set eggs" and I am pretty sure I have a pip in one of the turkey eggs. And so it begins.......................
wee.gif

SCG still just the two pips? I don't know who I am more excited for, you or me. I can't wait to see what my Royal Purple Palms
wink.png
are going to look like and I am so hoping that you wind up with three baby Lurkey/Toms
wee.gif

ETA - Also hoping that at least one of your tutors is a lavender!

Last edited:
You made me go look, but of the three clear/early quitters I pulled tonight, they all had air cells. I hope I didn't pull the wring ones.

Quote: Don't panic--just my observation in my incubator.
Anyone else have a comment?

SCG I hope you come home to three poults today and three chicks.
big_smile.png

Temps and humidity are looking good in the styrobator. I decided to put all the eggs in there for hatching since there is more room for them than in the Brinsea. No pips here yet. I have a busy day today so at least I won't be glued to the bator looking at eggs that look like they have just been set.
wink.png

BTW Wisher you weren't the only one who forgot to PM me their entry, I did miss yours while I was going back through the thread to find them all.
wink.png

Someone asked about not running the fan in the LG/styrobators during lockdown. I know on Rene's dry incbation hatch sheet she suggests turning it off for lockdown. I have not tried this because I have no easy way to turn it off and I don't want to mess up the styrobator. Maybe she can chime in on why she recommends it.
Chooks Chick . . . . input?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom