First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

For those of you losing poults, are you feeding medicated feed? I know they are very sensitive to digestive trouble and medicated starter is recommended by some. Also my hatchery friend says she can't brood her poults and chicks together without the poults dieing for no apparent reason. I have never had a problem with it but there it is. Maybe after the first couple of training days it would be better to separate the chicks from the turkeys? May depend on the organisms you have in your environment. I also don't feed the medicated starter but I do give them clumps of dirt and grass and it seems to help them get the beneficial organisms they need. Haven't lost any yet.
fl.gif
I never use medicated feed.. have had the chicks and poults together since day 1 and haven't lost any..

I have one batch together that range in ages from 3.5 weeks to 4 weeks
another batch that hatched out last week

the main reason the poults get sick and die is from chilling

edited to add.. i suppose I should clarify that

most poults which die in shell die from either low oxygen levels (carbon dioxide poisoning), high humidity during incubation, low humidity during hatch or temp swings during incubation

poults which die within 5 days after hatch usually die from not getting enough to eat or drink.. they start acting weak then keel over within a day or so... if you see a weak acting poult make sure you get something like save a chick in them ASAP and force feed if necessary.. sometimes they are too far gone and even force feeding won't bring them back

older poults usually die from getting chilled.. they can easily develop a respiratory infection (if you see an older poult hunched over it's more than likely respiratory) .. sometimes their body temp drops too suddenly when they get chilled that they just keel over and die and you have no idea why since they looked fine a few hours before.. they aren't like chickens where they can just be put outside when they are feathered out (unless they have their mom to snuggle up to).. so they need more time in a brooder type situation where they are gradually acclimated to the great outdoors...

another tip for healthy poults is to always make sure that very young birds get WARM water to drink... I make sure all of mine under 3 weeks of age always have lukewarm water when I change out their water since cold water can chill them too much

Last edited:
I agree that chilling is usually the culprit. I had three hatch, one fine and two challenged. After about 36 extra hours in the incubator, you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with the two, so they moved from the incubator into the brooder. The first day I went to work, they didn't get checked for about four hours. One of the ones that had problems had gotten into the half inch of water, chilled and died.

Everyone else is fine and they'll be a week old tomorrow. They are living full-time with their tutors, two silkies and a showgirl.

I'm feeding non-med turkey started. I didn't want to feed the turkey starter to all my chicks and I thought the little silkies could use the boost of protein. They've been brooded in a dog crate in the house, tomorrow they'll move to a brooder in the garage.

Deb

The one I lost didn't even make it out of the incubator. My last two that I hatched started with Cot Quail and moved with the chicks at about 2 weeks old. Both of those are thriving.

The one I lost didn't even make it out of the incubator. My last two that I hatched started with Cot Quail and moved with the chicks at about 2 weeks old. Both of those are thriving.

sometimes there is just something wrong with a poult (same as any other chick) and they don't make it.. can be from a dozen different things... for those that have genetic or nutritional issues which they got from the parent stock there isn't much you can do if they die at hatch
others are hatched deformed.. either from improper incubation temps.. genetic issues, dietary issues of parent stock, improper turning of the egg or bacterial growth in the egg.. I know some people try to keep them anyway.. but most are better off culled at hatch since they usually suffer and fail to thrive anyway

I am really thinking the one that I lost was because it wasn't eating and I didn't catch that fact in time. Anyway, I thought I would post some pics of the ones in the brooder. They are all doing great including the tutors.

Back
Top Bottom