First attempt at incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster0209, Apr 27, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I am new here and have found this forum really helpful. Last Spring I purchased 10 babu Guinea chicks. Sadly two didnt make it thru the first night. When they were big enough for "free range" my idiot dog chased three into the corn field. For two days they squaked to the ones in the yard and never came out. Leaving me with 5, 3hens and 2 roosters. The hens started laying eggs in the oddest places, which I picked up and planned on incubating. I couldnt find the nest on 7acres on the homeplace. Sadly an April storm moved in and we had a spring blizzard and 29F, so i doubt the nest survived.

Ok. I purchased a Hova-bater w/a turner. Asked some friends for some chicken eggs. I want some pretty farm chicken to free range too. They brought me 4 dozen. Some bantams and aracana (sp), and the ones with feathers on their feet..? Since they are free range, they couldnt guaranteee the mix.

So i have 41 eggs incubating. I am just so excited that I can hardly wait. What I will do if all 41 hatch is beyond me. I have never raised chickens before. Luckily my husband is a farmer (farm boy) he has raised them before. Wish me luck and what advice do you have for me?

I will get my brooder box set back up for the impending hatch. I am expanding my current coop to accomadate the larger group. My mom and mother-n-law are looking forward to fresh eggs..if all works out.

Thanks for being such a great sight!

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Hi! Welcome! You will learn an aweful lot here! I love just browsing, as that is how I got most of my info. I spent most time on the Raising baby chick thread, and now am on the Coop and run designs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! The peeps on here are the best! [​IMG] Steph

3. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Yes, I will second that! There is so much info available here, and everyone is so nice. I have been lurking and reading for quite a while.

This is a very informative and helpful site. And it's pretty addictive too!!!!![​IMG]

4. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Welcome MetcalfMK! There are always new people joining and its great to bring everyone together. You will find some great advice, helpful people and make great friends as well.

So you have 41 eggs but you are afraid you'll have 41 chicks? I wouldn't count on them all hatching since sometimes you end up with not so fertile eggs, some that stop growing halfway through and some that end up not making it out of the shell after being full grown! (I have had all of those happen to me)

I took it as a great learning experience. There is a thrill in raising your own chicks from eggs and you'll be addicted.

It can happen that they all will hatch and you can always give them away, sell them on Craigslist or raise a few for meat.

Good luck and keep us updated! We love pics and updates here!!! [​IMG]

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    My husband mentioned eating some of them and I cringed. I am just a softie. My husband forsees a chicken retirement home :|

I know its impossible to keep all of them.

I have the incubator on the bar. I am so excited that I want to keep watching it. 3wks is going to be a long long time

6. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Yep, I am on day 10, and started with 13 eggs. I had one that was clear, so we nixxed that one. My other ??? one is probably going to be nixxed tomorrow night, I think it has stopped growing and has some blood spots. I anticipate out of the remaining 11 eggs, I will most likely hatch 4-5 healthy babies. So, I wouldn't worry too much about having too many.

And about the chicken retirement, well, unless the price of chicken/eggs raises 500%, I think that's a pipe dream. [​IMG]

Good luck with your babies, and keep us posted.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

I have 12 eggs in the bator on day 8. When I candled last night 10 looked good and two are questionable. I'm afraid those two are proably goners. [​IMG] But that is the way it goes.

8. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Welcome. I am pretty new myself. This feels like my first batch (really my second, none from the first batch made it) for I am learning so much.

It is Day 11 and Batch Two started with 15 eggs lettered A-O.
    Egg D had shown a blood ring, was very porous, and had to be tossed.
    Egg A, the largest of the batch, has stopped developing.
    Egg B, Araucana bantam, is hard to see through, so I'm uncertain what's going on in there! And all other eggs are looking GREAT!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by