First attempt

Clover8Flora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hampshire UK
Hi everyone :)
I'm new to this so looking for some more info.
I have two Peking bantams, Flora & Clover.
Both my gorgeous girls are broody and I've decided to try and get them to hatch some eggs.
Are they both ok to stay in the same coop? They seem to favour the same bed although I think clover is the more broody one.

Any advice and I'd be very grateful for as I've never done this before.
All chicks will be staying here, cockerels already spoken for if we get any but anything else I should plan for?

Best feed to give her? Any extras she needs?

Many thanks

red horse ranch

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
Hi everyone

I'm new to this so looking for some more info.
I have two Peking bantams, Flora & Clover.
Both my gorgeous girls are broody and I've decided to try and get them to hatch some eggs.
Are they both ok to stay in the same coop? They seem to favour the same bed although I think clover is the more broody one.

Any advice and I'd be very grateful for as I've never done this before.
All chicks will be staying here, cockerels already spoken for if we get any but anything else I should plan for?

Best feed to give her? Any extras she needs?

Many thanks
Some people have had success with two broodys on one nest but I think it is best if they have separate nests. Less chance of eggs being broke or damaged. The same coop would be okay for incubating but they may need separate areas after the hatch.
A bantam hen will have a hard time keeping more than 7 or 8 eggs warm so don't overload them. If the eggs are from full size chickens 6 or 7 would be enough. Mark the eggs so you can tell which ones are being brooded in case another hen lays an egg in the same nest. Do you have a rooster to be sure the eggs are fertile?
A brood hen doesn't need much while brooding. They go into a semi-hibernation state and eat very little. They will get off the nest every day or two to drink eat and poop. Maybe take a dirt bath or two during the brooding period.

Feel free to ask questions because you'll have plenty of them in the near future!

Clover8Flora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hampshire UK
Thanks for all the info :)
I'm collecting the eggs from the farm today. I was only going to get them 3 each as it's the first time I've done it plus that was if flora gives up clover could cope with them all as she certainly seems more determined than her sister.
Is there a best time to swap the eggs in? I was thinking early evening when they are completely settled?

red horse ranch

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
Thanks for all the info

I'm collecting the eggs from the farm today. I was only going to get them 3 each as it's the first time I've done it plus that was if flora gives up clover could cope with them all as she certainly seems more determined than her sister.
Is there a best time to swap the eggs in? I was thinking early evening when they are completely settled?

Thanks
If the hen is truly broody you can put eggs under her any time of day. All you have to do is put the egg in the nest next to her breast and she will work them underneath her. Mine always seem glad to have another egg.

Clover8Flora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hampshire UK
Thank you :) All done, flora only wanted one but clover took five lol

So next question, how often should I check her? Normally I can just look out the back and see them pottering around but this isn't the case now as she's up in the coop all day?

red horse ranch

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
Thank you
All done, flora only wanted one but clover took five lol

So next question, how often should I check her? Normally I can just look out the back and see them pottering around but this isn't the case now as she's up in the coop all day?
I usually look in on my broodies two or three times a day. But there not anything you need to do for them as long as they have water and food available when they do get off.

Top Bottom