First Attempts

Padfoot417

Chirping
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Massachusetts
Hello all
frow.gif

So I've got 2 roosters,a silkie and a mutt,who obviously will be fertilizing eggs for me once my gals lay at a steady rate.
Now I really want to hatch some babies in the spring,but it's my first time.
hmm.png

Does anyone have some tips for me?
I know not all of them will hatch,it's like a 50/50 ratio?Depending on what was actually fertilized.
My gals haven't even started laying yet,they should be in about a week or so.
woot.gif

So I figure that in the spring they'll be in a good routine of laying.
I am using an incubator,borrowed from a good friend who's a farmer.

If you have any tips or experiances from your first time hatching,please post!!!
Thank you!
D.gif

Since you have a good deal of time before beginning a hatch, I suggest that you spend lots of time reading the hatching section of the forum - it's filled with lots and lots of information. Proper humidity and temps are key, so before beginning a hatch make sure those things are functioning in a stable manner. Good luck in the spring time - and don't forget the pics when you hatch, BYCer's love pics!
big_smile.png

I noticed you have a silkie roo do you have a pullet too? If you do by spring she will probably set for you. They are notorious for going broody. Its so much easier to have momma do it, and to me just as much fun. Also alot of times you have a better hatch rate with momma doing it. My broody just hatched out 10 eggs one more to go and 2 were clear.

Back
Top Bottom