First baby chick has just hatched! But mother threw it out and it's not moving. Advise please!!!

Rissatt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
I've had an Araucana and a light sussex both sitting on a clutch of 11 eggs (was 12, but one was rotten). Today, the first one hatched. I heard one of the hens bgurking, so went out to see what was going on and the Araucana was off her eggs, and the baby chick was out of its shell about a foot and a half away, lying in the straw. The Araucana just went back to sit on her eggs and both hens just ignored it.

It was still lying in the same position as it was in the egg, and isn't making any sound. She also had a tiny spot of blood on her belly, but that has since come off on the paper towel I've laid her on.

I got hubby to sit and watch for a little while to see what would happen, and make sure it didn't get attacked while I tried to find some answers. I called the local produce and the guy there said to just get it under a light, so that's what I've done. Althought, all I could find was a 28W bulb - stupid grocery store and it's energy saving garbage! They didn't have any 40W bulbs. Will this be warm enough?? I've got it pretty close.

Anyway, she's now been out of the shell for about 2 hours and still hasn't made a peep, and isn't opening her eyes. In the last 20 mins, she's tried to stand up twice without success. And it's like she's trying to open her eyes but can't. Could they be stuck shut?

Also, she's still not dried out.

What should I do? Will she be ok?

Thanks!!

Rissatt

She's opened her eyes a couple of times and seems to be getting closer to being able to stand up. Hopefully a good sign! Although, still no noise.

I'm confused, 2 hens 1 clutch? Have the eggs been sat on by the broody for the same amt of time. Any other eggs starting to pip or hatch? Iare both hens still broody on those eggs? That baby is cold and needs to be warmed. I prolly would stick it under one of the hens..

Yes, 2 hens. It started as just the light sussex (wings), but then the Araucana (punky) started to sit with her about a week after I put the fertilised eggs under her. At first I was worried and thought I may have to separate them, but then I did some research, and apparently it's not uncommon for 2 clucky hens to share a clutch of eggs and raise the chicks together. And apparently Araucanas make really good mums, so I decided to leave her. They are both sitting on all the eggs full time, today was the first time I've seen either one up.

I've got the chick under a warm lamp now and she seems to be getting a bit more energy. I was afraid to put her back under the mumma as she'd already been kicked out once, but do you think that would be better?

I just don't want them to peck it and kill or hurt it :(

I haven't checked the eggs recently, I read that you shouldn't touch the eggs after 17 days, so I don't know how the rest of them are doing.

Last edited:
Ok so I just lifted up the broodies to check the eggs. Can't see any holes in any of the eggs just from looking, though I didn't move them at all to check them over thoroughly. Hopefully I get more than one chick from the original batch of 12 eggs!

I've had an Araucana and a light sussex both sitting on a clutch of 11 eggs (was 12, but one was rotten). Today, the first one hatched. I heard one of the hens bgurking, so went out to see what was going on and the Araucana was off her eggs, and the baby chick was out of its shell about a foot and a half away, lying in the straw. The Araucana just went back to sit on her eggs and both hens just ignored it.

It was still lying in the same position as it was in the egg, and isn't making any sound. She also had a tiny spot of blood on her belly, but that has since come off on the paper towel I've laid her on.

I got hubby to sit and watch for a little while to see what would happen, and make sure it didn't get attacked while I tried to find some answers. I called the local produce and the guy there said to just get it under a light, so that's what I've done. Althought, all I could find was a 28W bulb - stupid grocery store and it's energy saving garbage! They didn't have any 40W bulbs. Will this be warm enough?? I've got it pretty close.

Anyway, she's now been out of the shell for about 2 hours and still hasn't made a peep, and isn't opening her eyes. In the last 20 mins, she's tried to stand up twice without success. And it's like she's trying to open her eyes but can't. Could they be stuck shut?

Also, she's still not dried out.

What should I do? Will she be ok?

Thanks!!

Rissatt
KEEP IT UNDER THE HEAT LAMP AND PUT WATER WITH IT. AND WHEN ANOTHER ONE HATCHES STICK IT UNDER THE HEN WITH THAT ONE (((@ NIGHT AND KEEP AN EYE ON IT TO SEE IF SHE EXCEPTS IT...

KEEP IT UNDER THE HEAT LAMP AND PUT WATER WITH IT. AND WHEN ANOTHER ONE HATCHES STICK IT UNDER THE HEN WITH THAT ONE (((@ NIGHT AND KEEP AN EYE ON IT TO SEE IF SHE EXCEPTS IT...
Thanks, I'm a bit more comfortable doing that. Will she know how to drink herself? And she was hatched 4 hours ago but not even any little cracks on the other eggs. Is that normal? Should the others be showing signs by now?

do you have a small stuffed toy she could cuddle with or a nice washcloth to make her more comfy. If she is in a brooder, sometimes they prefer a small box to feel more secure.

do you have a small stuffed toy she could cuddle with or a nice washcloth to make her more comfy. If she is in a brooder, sometimes they prefer a small box to feel more secure.
I'm sure I've got something. I'll try that. Thanks

One of the mums is a cannibal. Went out this morning and there was a cute little ball of fluff sticking her head out from under Wings, went back a couple of hours later and said chick was spread across the pen :( saw another egg has peeped, so I've taken it out and put it under the light with the other chick I saved yesterday. Do I just let it do its thing? Or will I need to help it along?

I was thinking I'd leave the eggs under the chooks until they peeped, then bring them in, but I don't know what to do tonight. Obviously, they're all pretty close to hatching, but will it hinder the process if I take them from mumma and put them under the lights?

Back
Top Bottom