First Batch of CornishX

tjcib

Songster
5 Years
Feb 22, 2017
Chesterfield, VA
Looking for input on some of my stats. This was our first ever meat bird batch. Raised in a Suscovich tractor.
I was a little bummed at the dressed size, but we did harvest right at 49 days. I would have waited another week but we had a vacation coming and reservations were already made. Poor planning on my part, so I can't be too mad...

Oddly enough, the 30 birds (28 survived, 1 lost chick & 1 culled) only went through 300 pounds of 20% feed in 7 weeks. Way less than anticipated. But if I am calculating correctly, 120 pounds dressed from 300 pounds of feed is a 2.5 conversion rate, which I think is pretty good. I've seen conflicting info on if you should calculate conversion based on live weight or dressed weight. But I only really care about dressed weight...

Here's a screenshot of the stats. Any others I should be tracking...?

Screenshot 2022-07-06 2.05.17 PM.png

I assume that's dressed weight based on your comment? I don't think that's too bad but it is a bit on the low side. I just processed 17 at 8 weeks and they averaged over 5.5 lbs; all female.

Did you have a mix of roosters and hens? Did you restrict their feed? Where did you get them from?

I assume that's dressed weight based on your comment? I don't think that's too bad but it is a bit on the low side. I just processed 17 at 8 weeks and they averaged over 5.5 lbs; all female.

Did you have a mix of roosters and hens? Did you restrict their feed? Where did you get them from?
It is dressed weight. It was all roosters too! They were from the same hatchery my neighbor used and we got huge birds from them... oh well...

We did not restrict feed, but they were butchered right at 7 weeks. Like I said, if we planned better, we would have given them one more week.

I honestly think it was the heat that did it. They just slowed down eating once June got here in Virginia. We were about a month late in ordering them (life happens).

Here's our 2nd batch just harvested. What a difference...
Only two birds under 5 pounds...

chicken harvest comparison.png

Back
Top Bottom