first bread in the machine!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ams3651, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my first try at making bread is in the bread machine right now. Im so excited. I started small with just a plain sweet bread recipe. Wish me luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Good luck! I felt so guilty that DH spent $350 on my bread machine, years ago, that I baked all our bread for over a year.

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one in the machine this morning too. It will be ready when I get home from work. I hope you have better luck than I at getting loaves to rise. Tell how is turns out.

4. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my aunt gave me the machine, she had 2 so Im just excited. Things usually dont go well the first time I try but Im trying to remain positive [​IMG]

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Nothing better than fresh baked bread. I learned a really great tip on this sight... If you have trouble getting a loaf that you like from your machine- just use it on the dough setting and bake loaf in the oven. I tried and tried in the machine and I was just never happy with it. The first time I used it to make the dough, I was 100 % satisfied. I make all our bread now! Good luck and enjoy!

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Hope your first loaf turns out grand! [​IMG] Let us know.

Bread machines can be a little "picky". Everything has to be measured exactly because the machine cannot adjust - like a person would when hand kneading. But I love mine and would quickly get another if it died.

I have several bread meachine recipes posted on this page of our website that you might enjoy:

http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipes.cfm?catname=Bread, Rolls, and Muffins

I also use the 'dough only' cycle on the bread machine often. Let the machine mix, knead and rise the dough. Transfer to a standard loaf pan, rise abot an hour (until double), then bake at 350 degrees, about 25 mintues for most.

edited for typo...sorry

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    its got 15 minutes left but it looks like it sunk [​IMG]

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    don't panic yet! did you use bread machine yeast?

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I love my bread machine and it's yummy fresh output.

10. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    My book says to use active dry yeast. It kind of has a hole in the middle about 1/4 of they way down but I think I give myself a B+ for my first attempt. My picky little one asked for another piece and even ate the crust, its is tasty. My boyfriend made me promise to save him some.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the good vibes! TOmorrow its applesauce cinnamon bread.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by