First broody chicken hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ben_2288, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    Yes, she was just in a nest box in the main coop. The last 2 eggs were dud but she was still sitting on them at the time. The other chicken went into the coop and got one of the chicks and ran out. Mother was then chasing her around trying to get it back. Very distressing. I never expected it from that chicken either as she is bottom of the pecking order and quite friendly. My lesson, was to seperate earlier on.

Ben_2288 and chickens really like this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    There is something seriously wrong there! The chance of the most junior hen going any where near a senior hen while she's sitting, or with her chicks is so unlikely here and with the vast majority of other chicken keeps experiences that I wouldn't even consider it. It goes against everything to do with heirachical social structure.

Ben_2288 likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Actually that's not accurate. The Peeping from the Chicks brought her in and she attacked it because she is not a Broody. Rank in a flock has nothing to with a Broody raising Chicks. I have had Bottom Hens and top Hens raise Chicks without interference.

Ben_2288 likes this.
  4. chickens really

My experience with Momma and Chicks is to keep her penned till all hatch out and have found their legs. Totally bonded to Momma and then release into the flock..A good Momma and a protective Rooster won't let anything happen to the Chicks.

Ben_2288 likes this.
  5. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Congratulations! I also had my first broody hatch this year. It was amazing!

6. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    Yep, that's what happened. The broody was not the top hen, near the bottom too. The other one was interested to have a look in the coop (as others were) and obviously took her moment to attack it. Maybe it was the only thing she felt she could dominate?!.... I think I'd try what you suggest if I did it again. But it does seem nice for the mother hen and chicks to have their own space undisturbed too.....

7. chickens really

Yes...Just don't wait to long because with Momma to integrate them the other won't hurt them. Many people wait too long and Momma weans them so the other beat them up.

8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I too also have had junior and senior hens sit, hatch and protect their chicks without interference; I'm not debating this.
    I can only write that in my experience and the experiences of many others, a junior hen will not go anywhere near a senior hen with chicks, let alone steal and carry! a chick away.

Ben_2288 likes this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    There you go, you've just confirmed my point.

10. chickens really

I'm sorry but you misunderstood me..:idunno
    If not protected till after all hatch a Hen of any rank can or will kill Chicks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: