First broody chicken hatch

Ben_2288

Chirping
Jul 10, 2018
This is my third clutch of chicks first to be from a hen much easier the hen takes care of them. I have them separated how long before they can join the flock?
20180911_122822.jpg
20180911_122808.jpg
20180911_102344.jpg
20180911_102342.jpg
20180911_122753.jpg
20180911_122758.jpg

I always let my broody hens hatch in the main coop hence the chicks mix with the flock from day 1 so I am hesitant to give advice. What i do know however, is that I have never seen adults show aggression to very young chicks (even in the absence of a mother hen).

Congratulations! A good broody hen is worth her weight in gold. I never truly appreciated how valuable they are until I had to use an incubator to hatch out some chicks. With a broody . . . no incubator . . . no brooder . . . no flock integration issues. It saves so much work.

I keep my broody hens separated from (but within sight of) the flock during incubation, hatching, and for the first 5 to 7 days post-hatch. By the time the chicks are 1 week old, I remove the barrier and let the hen take the chicks out to mingle with the flock. Flock members tend to give broody hens plenty of space, and the hen is usually very quick to remind transgressors to back off if they get too close.

... I keep my brood[ing] hens separated from (but within sight of) the flock during incubation, hatching, and for the first 5 to 7 days post-hatch. By the time the chicks are 1 week old, I remove the barrier and let the hen take the chicks out to mingle with the flock. Flock members tend to give broody hens plenty of space, and the hen is usually very quick to remind transgressors to back off if they get too close.

The old mother hen will do all of her baby chicks' heavy fighting for them.

My experience is limited to one hatch and I'd concur with those above; have the rest of the flock been able to see the broody and her chicks already?

I had a broody hatch 3 chicks in the main run/coop 10 days ago. I was going to seperate them after all the eggs hatched but before I could another hen attacked 1 of the chicks. I caught her just in time and saved the chick all be it with a broken toe and severe beating, and moved them all. I will be waiting till mother wants to roost before I let her back with the others and then the chicks after that I guess, when their big enough to handle themselves and before they start to lay.

I had a broody hatch 3 chicks in the main run/coop 10 days ago. I was going to seperate them after all the eggs hatched but before I could another hen attacked 1 of the chicks. I caught her just in time and saved the chick all be it with a broken toe and severe beating, and moved them all. I will be waiting till mother wants to roost before I let her back with the others and then the chicks after that I guess, when their big enough to handle themselves and before they start to lay.
Hmm...Was the Hen still hatching and not confined safely away from the flock till all hatched?..Once hatched and she brings them off the nest are they safe from other birds.

Back
Top Bottom