First broody chicken hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ben_2288, Sep 20, 2018.

1. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The thing is the first hatched come out to eat and drink while Momma continues to hatch. Feed and water close to Mommas head keeps the first hatchlings close.

2. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    What do mean by weans? Leaves them to roost? I'm nerves to reintroduce them because the other hen then attacked goes around their run and is very keen to get at them.... this makes me think she will attack them again. Maybe she has climbed the pecking order while the other one was broody and is more confident now?! These chickens are less than a year old.

3. Puckaster

Puckaster Chirping

Sep 13, 2018
    Isle of wight, England
    That's exactly it. If I did it again id either move them earlier or lock the coop she was hatching in till all were hatched then move or let them out when she was done on the nest and ready to protect them

chickens really likes this.
  4. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    That's what I do with great success. The chicks run around like 2-year-olds without a care in the world, sometimes between the other chickens' legs, and the adults just ignore and stay clear of them. Works out very well. No integration problems like I once had when I separated a mother with her chick.

Ben_2288 and Shadrach like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: