First broody hen... Questions!

jstlitlome

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Missouri
Hi all! It's been a long time since I've posted. I hope you are all well.

I have my first broody hen! We have decided to let her sit and hatch some chicks she went broody in her nest box. Since the box is too high up and the other hens were complaining about her keeping the box to herself, I set her up in a little cage in the coop with her own food and water. (see pic below)

Three questions :

1. When she was in the nest box she would leave the nest once a day to stretch her legs eat and drink. Now that she is in her broody box she acts like she would like to get out occasionall, although she mostly just sits on her eggs. I feel bad. Should I let her out or will she lose the broodiness? I'd hate for that to happen as I'm sure the chicks are partially developed.

2. She is eating and drinking but I don't see her pooping in there. The couple times I've seen her off her nest I didn't see poop in there either. Should I move her off to check and change her nesting material or will this interrupt her broodiness?

3. I cleaned out their feeder box and dislocated some mice and added poison traps. Seems to have kept them out of the box, but I just saw one in the coop with mama. How to get him out? I don't want bait traps in the coop because I don't want the chickens eating a poisoned mouse. Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Leslie

Hi all! It's been a long time since I've posted. I hope you are all well.

I have my first broody hen! We have decided to let her sit and hatch some chicks she went broody in her nest box. Since the box is too high up and the other hens were complaining about her keeping the box to herself, I set her up in a little cage in the coop with her own food and water. (see pic below)

Three questions :

1. When she was in the nest box she would leave the nest once a day to stretch her legs eat and drink. Now that she is in her broody box she acts like she would like to get out occasionall, although she mostly just sits on her eggs. I feel bad. Should I let her out or will she lose the broodiness? I'd hate for that to happen as I'm sure the chicks are partially developed.

2. She is eating and drinking but I don't see her pooping in there. The couple times I've seen her off her nest I didn't see poop in there either. Should I move her off to check and change her nesting material or will this interrupt her broodiness?

3. I cleaned out their feeder box and dislocated some mice and added poison traps. Seems to have kept them out of the box, but I just saw one in the coop with mama. How to get him out? I don't want bait traps in the coop because I don't want the chickens eating a poisoned mouse. Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Leslie

Your pen seems large enough in the picture; keep the hen in there.

When she has to go she will go. Yes, check the nest to be sure there isn't droppings in it. I very much doubt there is. Healthy hens do not usually poop in their nest if it can be avoided.

The mouse is in the pen with the broody? If so, he probably won't stay there. When I have a mouse problem I take a bucket and partially fill it with water. Pour feed on it until the water is completely covered. Then lean a board against it. Mice will go for the feed and drown. Make sure the bucket is situated so a chicken is not harmed.

Just checked on her. She is off her eggs and wants out. Checked the eggs and they aren't warm. Do I give up and let her out? If the eggs get cold are they no good anymore?

Just checked on her. She is off her eggs and wants out. Checked the eggs and they aren't warm. Do I give up and let her out? If the eggs get cold are they no good anymore?

There is no way to know what is the right thing to do for sure. If she has not gone back to her eggs yet, I'd let her out and see if she goes back to the original nest spot. Not all hens will accept a move in location. The eggs may still be alive. If she goes back to the original nest give her the eggs and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom