First broody today.... set four eggs under her :)

just did a bit of looking around on google for you and it said that once broodiness starts, just like chickens it will go broody again.

Well I know for sure now that the turkey hen last year who raised the poult is raising the chicks. Last year one of the other hens died and I wasn't sure if it was an older hen or the baby. Today she went back to the nest she hatched her poult at. It is outside in the pricker bushes. Now if only I knew who the other hen is. It could be the other older hen or the baby hatched last year. I'm dreading the trip out there to put her in the coop:(

Hmm it can be so confusing some times! Yeah that's how i felt about even going out to the girls today it was so HOT outside

Well my attempt to get the hen back in the coop was a fail. As soon as i got near her she started hissing so I tried using a broom handle to nudge her off. All she did after five minutes is walk back further. When I went back again she still was not having it so I grabbed the babies and walked away. BIG MISTAKE! She charged at me and I panicked and tossed the chicks to her and now she will get her way. I just hope it doesn't rain much tonight. Just in case she wants to back on her own I left the door open so she can get in.

Wow sounds crazy! Well good idea on leaving the door open is there anyway you could set some shelter up out there for them? or just keep trying to get her in the coop

I have two broody hens now, both first timers. One is separate from all the other hens and only leaves the nest box (which is a cat litter box with cover) for a few minutes each day, she is really sticking to it. The other is in the coop in a nest box and leaves the nest more ofter but when she does another hen jumps in and egg sits for her. The girls seem to take right to it. Hope they don't break the eggs though, that happened last year with another hen I had.

Back
Top Bottom