First case of impacted crop - advice

Her crop was empty this morning, and the poop under her little roost was normal. She seems to be doing better. When the weather warms up a bit, I may take her out in the crate to be with her flock mates for awhile today. It has warmed up to 43 degrees, but is very damp out there. She has been inside now, in our basement, for the past three days.

I have four birds in my flock. She was already the lowest in the pecking order. But yes, I was planning on taking her out there later this morning, but leave her in a wire crate in the coop with her own food and water. That way, they can interact with her for the day.

She has been enjoying her time out in the coop, in her crate, but she clearly wants more. I let her out to hang out with the others for about a 1/2 hour, and they all got along just fine. She went right back to foraging in their run. They have layer crumbles available all the time, fresh water, as well as free choice grit and oyster shells.

Do you think I should just go ahead and let her be with them free from the crate and see how it goes? I can separate her in the evening before roosting, and give her a little extra calcium and maybe some yogurt, and do that in the AM again too, then just let her spend the day with the others. Crop has been empty in the AM for two days now, and her poops look normal today. No more soft shells since yesterday.

She is roosting with her flock mates tonight. She is the one on the far left in the attached photo. She did well with them this afternoon, very little drama, after being away from the others for three days.

Attachments

• 86B9D3E7-2F90-4D30-A41C-EE4418963A22.jpeg
    86B9D3E7-2F90-4D30-A41C-EE4418963A22.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom