First chicken death.... so sad and mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campine Lover

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Moss Beach, CA
Well, I'm feeling very depressed. Half of one chicken's body is paralized (I don't know what to do!!!!!) , one Modern Game Banty hen gone (Her name was Amber), my one and only (Kimberly, my all time favorite out of the coop) critically endangered Golden Campine hen (note my screen name; I only have one Campine. Correction; Had) is gone, and to wrap it all up the coop is covered in mites. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Everything was fine one month ago. Then Missy the paralized one got paralized, and Amber the Modern disappeared. 2 days ago Kimberly the Campine was gone when my dad let them out when I was at a slumber party. I thought, "Well, maybe she's broody and has a secret nest." But she's NEVER EVER broody. And now my chicken keeping neighbors told my dad they lost a few, too. So... I thought... We are now dealing with a predator. But there was no trace at all. They all disapeared while free ranging. I've made the dicision to use chicken tractors instead of letting them free range. This is my first deaths in the coop; I've thought myself lucky because I have been keeping them for 1 1/2 years. But now almost all my favorites (and show birds!!!!) are gone. I feel like crying. Kimberly was special. She would come right into the house and jump on my lap. It's so UNFAIR!!!!!! (sorry, I just had to let everything out)

I am very sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I totally understand your frustration and pain! A few weeks ago dogs from 5 miles away came and massacred 14 of my chickens. They tore into coops and killed and killed. I returned the dog before I realized the extent of the damage that was done. Stupid me.

Now I have lost some birds to a coyote. I didn't realize it would hunt them when it was broad daylight. My hubby saw it take a chicken and run about seven in the morning. So no more free ranging for now.

I am so sorry about your losses.
hugs.gif

Thanks, everyone. I'm sorta glad I never had to go through finding the bodies, but there still is a faint (but fading) trace of hope. (What animal would protect from hawks? Just wondering. The girls go nuts when I don't let them out. )

This just reminds me, too, to never free range unattended. I've only lost one chicken-- to a dog that DUG UNDER MY FENCE and snatched her. Gorgeous, curious, sweet Nayru.

I'm so very sorry for your loss... I couldn't live without pets, but when heartbreak like that occurs, I wonder how I can live with them again.

But you obviously know how to raise chickens well... maybe one day you will regain the heart to do it again on your own terms. When I was smaller, my mom was in charge of the coop and a fox came and snatched all but two of our flock because they were allowed to roost wherever, and they chose an open storage building. Some 15 years after this fact, I adopted chickens again. It took me 15 years to get over that, I'd say.

So rebuild, but rebuild stronger and better and give your chickens SAFE room in a really nice run one day....

hit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom