First Chicken-eating-mouse experience . . .

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by glassparman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    I've heard of it and I have always had lots of mice around the coops but never saw my girls go for them. I've been doing this hen thing for about 2 years.

Then, last night I went to put my girls away (bobcat proofing) and a hen had a mouse in her mouth. She was not sure what to do with it but it was pecked to death fairly well.

Has anyone had a bad experience with hens eating mice?

Michael

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I haven't had any bad experiences -- unless you count the fact that the mice freely scurry about the coop without fear. [​IMG]

The first time one of mine caught a mouse it had been hiding under a water trough when I turned the trough over to dump the dirty water. I think I still had 5 or 6 pullets at the time, all of them waiting for the crickets usually caught under there. When they saw a mouse within reach they went nuts. It was hysterical watching the victor trying to get away from the others with her prize.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have lots of mice in the barn and whenever I trap one, I give it to the chickens. They will fight over it, and chase each other around trying to steal it.
    The lucky winner will peck at it and slam it around for a while, and then swallow it head first.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I once had to get a dying rat away from my chickens because it was one that had eaten poison out of our bait tubes. They were fighting furiously over it.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My nest boxes are 55 gallon drums cut in half shortways, and my coop floor is sand. About every 10 days I will move the barrells and the hens raid the mouse nests. I've seen them eat 30 mice in about 20 seconds!!!!!!!!!

6. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I haven't seen mine eat mice, but I have seen them eat frogs and lizards.

7. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    I guess the "bad experience" I was asking about is does it affect the taste of the eggs or give you the willies?

I just thought it might not be a good idea to tell my couple of egg customers that the chickens eat mice sometimes.

Michael

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    And here I thought you had a mouse eating your chickens....

9. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I have never had a 'bad experience' yet, as far as chickens eating mice, however..... I do tend to discuss my chickens eating habits as little as possible with my egg customers...! I think the less they know the better! There are times, when I wish that I knew a little less![​IMG]

And yes, it does give me the willies too, Blech![​IMG]

Good Luck!

10. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    no bad experiences, only good! Less mice and more eggs!! My girls had stopped laying for the winter. I hand caught (barn mice are fairly bold, brazen, and not too bright!) three mice one day two weeks back. The three girls that ate them are the three that have started laying!!! I told the person I shared the eggs with, and they wanted to borrow the hens to help with their mouse problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by