First Chicken-eating-mouse experience . . .

Ugh! I hope I never catch one of my chickens eating a mouse. My husband and I saw our Golden Comet swallow a baby snake whole last summer and we couldn't bring ourselves to eat any of her eggs for weeks! Slurped it right up like a piece of spaghetti.
sickbyc.gif

This is something I didn't think I'd have to deal with (naive on my part) but after a weekend raid on the hay bales, we found mice in the run. Now, since we've removed all their homes, they are scurrying around the outside of the run and yard. My terrier is going crazy digging holes to get them and I just went out there and watched my girls beating one to death. I didn't stay around to watch them eat it because even though they are mice, I still feel bad. I know, I know...I'm not a good country girl! I guess it's better than something eating my girls though....

Ugh, I hate mice!!!

Chickens are not herbivores or vegetarians so however and whatever they get will give them the protein that they need and the eggs will contain the necessary protein, vitamins etc. that we need.
old.gif

Quote:
Really! What is the difference if it is mouse protein?
idunno.gif

I have never seen one eat them whole, though. Til that You tube video, anyway.
I have horses as well as the chickens in the barn. I hate it, but I often find little drowned mice in the water buckets.
Last week during a real cold spell, I found three, dead in the water buckets. So I dumped the water and the little bodies over by a tree. The water pooled there and froze.
Later, I saw our 3 comets gathered around the tree for quite some time, pecking at the little mice-ickles. Later my DH asked what the heck those hens were doing by the tree. I told him. He freaked..... lol

O.M.G!!!!!
ep.gif

I had no idea chickens ate mice or snakes or any of the other things listed here!

hmmmmmm...... My kitchen cupboards have a mouse problem that my 3 worthless cats and 2 worthless rat terriers have failed to fix (or, from what I can tell, even detect!!!)
rant.gif
Maybe I'll just bring a few of the chickens inside, pop em' in the kitchen, open the cupboard doors, and sit back to watch the fun!

lau.gif

Katie

I moved some hay bales one time and a mouse had made a nest in the back of them. There were about 6 or 8 babies and all the chickens came after them. The mice were only a few days old so they were small. The chickens ran with the mice one way and I hauled my butt the other way !! They did eat them though !!!
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

My banties tore apart a rat THROUGH THE CHICKEN WIRE. They pulled it through bite by bite. The rat had been caught in a trap we had just outside thier run, I hope it was dead before the snacking began!
sickbyc.gif
It did change my feelings for the hens, up until then I thought they were cute and funny, but they really are tough little animals. Looks can be decieiving!

Back
Top Bottom